Honored Contributor

Re: Oh goodness another multiple shooting in Maryland

@sunshine45 wrote:

RIFLES & SHOTGUNS          HANDGUNS

Permit to PurchaseNoYes
Registration of FirearmsNoYes
Licensing of OwnersNoYes
Permit to CarryNoYes

maryland gun laws...... yes, this is disturbing to say the least.

And these are some of the most strict gun laws in the country?

Something is very wrong here.

Honored Contributor

I may be wrong, but, I think shotguns got a pass, because farmers, and people who live rurally, used them to eliminate predators, that attacked domestic animals

I recall VP Biden saying he wouldn't give up his shotgun

It is not going to be an easy battle ,I fear, but, I hope we can come up with something better than what we have now

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I may be wrong, but, I think shotguns got a pass, because farmers, and people who live rurally, used them to eliminate predators, that attacked domestic animals

I recall VP Biden saying he wouldn't give up his shotgun

It is not going to be an easy battle ,I fear, but, I hope we can come up with something better than what we have now

I don't think anyone is suggesting giving up any kind of gun. Understand that guns are part of the american fabric. But......why should it be a problem to require a background check and permit when buying a shotgun? Are shotguns any less lethal than a hand gun? Why are we not demanding that stalkers, abusers, mentally ill lose their right to possess a firearm? Many states are passing "red flag" laws which allow the courts to remove firearms from the possession of people who shouldn't have them. FINALLY.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

RIFLES & SHOTGUNS          HANDGUNS

Permit to PurchaseNoYes
Registration of FirearmsNoYes
Licensing of OwnersNoYes
Permit to CarryNoYes

maryland gun laws...... yes, this is disturbing to say the least.

True, but at least we HAVE laws on the books for handguns. Other states have NOTHING. Research as to WHY long-guns are handled this way. 

But hey, let's over look all of  that and just come down on guns in general. Same old, same old. I'm out. 

@SahmIam

yes, we have some of the strictest handgun laws in the country. are they perfect.....no. could they be even better......definitely.

i am from maryland also.......and i dont have to agree with your views or how they manage rifles/shotguns.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Makes sense to me, but I am not a gun owner @bathina.  

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Makes sense to me, but I am not a gun owner @bathina.  

I don't think you have to be a gun owner to understand that COMMON SENSE should prevail when it comes to objects manufactured and utilized for the sole purpose of killing. 

Honored Contributor

If the world was reasonable, life would be grand, but it ain't, and never will be , I fear

Honored Contributor

If we acquiesce to the irrational and inflammatory approach to life and governance because not all people will, at the very least, strive to be rational, then we are surely doomed.

In the end, my wish is that sound thinking and respect for one's fellow man will prevail.

Valued Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

So it appears that he had a defamation suit against the paper and lost.  This is quite different than all the speculation that this was something different.  

I really wish people would wait for the facts before going off with their own narrative.

@Isobel Archer

Actually not so different.  It was speculated that people are being told the media is awful, and untruthful, and that one should take matters into their own hands; and perhaps someone did.

Try again.  Officials told NBC News that Ramos once filed a defamation suit against the Gazette in 2012 for a column it published in 2011 about a guilty plea he entered in a criminal harassment case. The claim was dismissed, however, on account of Ramos not having any evidence.

He has apparently believed this paper was "awful and untruthful" since 2011. 

Exactly. His grievance was clearly identified as his personal conflict with the Gazette from years ago. Some posters are trying to make it political.

Journalists are in the cross hairs of crazy people as a result of the current climate and the ratcheting up of hatred toward them. Wonder why he did this now and not 6 years back when the paper wrote the story on his stalking of a former classmate? 

He recently lost his law suit against the newspaper.

Respected Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

So it appears that he had a defamation suit against the paper and lost.  This is quite different than all the speculation that this was something different.  

I really wish people would wait for the facts before going off with their own narrative.

@Isobel Archer

Actually not so different.  It was speculated that people are being told the media is awful, and untruthful, and that one should take matters into their own hands; and perhaps someone did.

Try again.  Officials told NBC News that Ramos once filed a defamation suit against the Gazette in 2012 for a column it published in 2011 about a guilty plea he entered in a criminal harassment case. The claim was dismissed, however, on account of Ramos not having any evidence.

He has apparently believed this paper was "awful and untruthful" since 2011. 

Exactly. His grievance was clearly identified as his personal conflict with the Gazette from years ago. Some posters are trying to make it political.

Journalists are in the cross hairs of crazy people as a result of the current climate and the ratcheting up of hatred toward them. Wonder why he did this now and not 6 years back when the paper wrote the story on his stalking of a former classmate? 

He recently lost his law suit against the newspaper.

He filed the lawsuit in 2012. When was the verdict rendered? Why did he go after the journalists and not the courts who threw out his suit?