Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I remember being told by a "professional" that OPI is meant for use with "fake" nails, not natural nails.  There may be something to that, as my nails are real and have become quite a challenge as I've aged, and the OPI chips off of mine.  I remember when I used to wear it, I always carried the bottle around in my purse for emergency touch ups!

I've used OPI on my toes for as long as I can remember. I've never had a problem with wear time. In fact, whenever i stray to a different brand, i get chips much sooner. I don't think your nail tech was correct.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I remember being told by a "professional" that OPI is meant for use with "fake" nails, not natural nails.  There may be something to that, as my nails are real and have become quite a challenge as I've aged, and the OPI chips off of mine.  I remember when I used to wear it, I always carried the bottle around in my purse for emergency touch ups!

@2blonde,I use a base coat which is slightly sticky and holds the color coat.  Next, two coats of color, then a high gloss clear that prevents chips.  My base and over coat are from Revlon, but OPI has their own.  

I don't have any problems for two weeks.

Honored Contributor

I have thin nails.

I begin with two coats of OPI Nail Strengthener, then two coats of color, then a coat of that French named top coat (can't remember the name at the moment, then a coat of Essie "Good To Go" which works miracles for me.

Yes, six coats in all.  It looks fabulous but most of all, it protects my nails from peeling and chipping.

I also always use base coat and color on the top edge of my nails.

Honored Contributor

Product Details

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

TOP COATProduct Details

Honored Contributor

Product Details

Essie Good To Go

Esteemed Contributor

It's funny that OPI is a topic today. Yesterday I had the Q on and Rick was presenting jewelry with the Diamonique vendor. People were calling in asking about the color of her nail polish which she identified but didn't give the brand. The color was called "Just Lanai-ing Around." I looked it up and the brand is OPI. It was very pretty on her.

Just Lanai-ing Around - Nail Lacquer - OPI

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

TOP COATProduct Details

This stuff here will give you great shine and will dry fast.  Love it!  But you'd better keep some nail polish thinner on hand because over time, it thickens in the bottle

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I used to use OPI for my manicures until I discovered CND polish.  It stays on longer and I can go longer between manicures.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@2blonde,I use a base coat which is slightly sticky and holds the color coat.  Next, two coats of color, then a high gloss clear that prevents chips.  My base and over coat are from Revlon, but OPI has their own.  

I don't have any problems for two weeks.

@ECBG  I also use a base coat (have tried many, but the best I've found is Perfect Formula Pink Gel).  I also follow with 2 coats of polish and a top coat (the best I've found lately is Essie fast dry).  I get chips easier than you probably because of my aged nails (69).......the top layer of nail splits and cracks, even with oil treatment and Andrew Lessman's Hair, Skin and Nails.

Laura loves cats!