Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

The forums are free.  It's a privilege, not a right. 

Why is everyone fretting over notifications?  

Whining about not winning hearts is pathetic.

I don't see anyone here "whining about not winning hearts."

The reason people are "fretting over notifications" may be simply that they now do not know if someone's responded to a post they made and possibly asked them something, or they otherwise need to follow up. Not knowing means they may not revisit that thread, and the person asking the question may conclude that they're being deliberately ignored. Feeling a bit hurt if that happens isn't pathetic; it's understandable. Even to me, and I'mnot the squishiest peep in the box.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

The reason people are "fretting over notifications" may be simply that they now do not know if someone's responded to a post they made and possibly asked them something, or they otherwise need to follow up. Not knowing means they may not revisit that thread, and the person asking the question may conclude that they're being deliberately ignored. Feeling a bit hurt if that happens isn't pathetic; it's understandable. Even to me, and I'mnot the squishiest peep in the box.

Guess they could always go back and look since the feature currently is not working. If it was important to them I would think they would go back to see the responses anyway.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

true

Honored Contributor

Re: Notifications

[ Edited ]

I understand that some posters don't use the notifications as a part of keeping up with conversation flow.    For me, it's been a useful and beneficial feature -- but more to the point, this problem isn't just about the annoyance in missing the usual alerts.   It's a continuation of a troubling and potentially serious website problem.   I'll add what I posted on @Laura14 's thread:  

It’s obvious there’s a database degradation in their user file.   I submitted a detailed report on 12/4/18, but the problem began in mid-November (referencing the long delay accessing profiles, submitting/editing posts, etc.).

If the tech support staff had resolved the file corruption (most likely with a simple, “programming 101” re-indexing) as soon as it was detected it wouldn’t have snowballed into the dreadful mess we have now.

It’s not the fault of the QVC Social Team, whose responsibilities don’t include tech support.   It’s the fault of QVC/Qurate for using what appears to be the cheapest, lowest tier of a pre-packaged rudimentary forum platform from Lithium with only the most limited and negligible and negligent technical support which seems to be directed toward doing nothing more than barely keeping the Community crawling.    

In all my years in IT support/management/design/development I’ve never seen a major corporation’s website so poorly managed and with the appearance of having been abandoned as a lost cause.

Allowing a basic user-file database degradation to continue for over 3 months not only repels customers it also puts security of the user file in question, and it’s unprofessional and irresponsible.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What an ugly thing to say.  We are not here to win hearts.  Hearting a post is a way to say you agree without having to post ITA.  It's also welcoming to those who just are seeking camaraderie. I will make a mental note to never heart one of your posts since you don't like the feature and it causes you to feel pathetic.  @Lucky Charm 

Trusted Contributor

@vacationday wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What an ugly thing to say.  We are not here to win hearts.  Hearting a post is a way to say you agree without having to post ITA.  It's also welcoming to those who just are seeking camaraderie. I will make a mental note to never heart one of your posts since you don't like the feature and it causes you to feel pathetic.  @Lucky Charm 

@vacationday  No hearts in her Lucky Charms! lol!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

The response that you have given underlines the fact that you do not understand what we are actually discussing.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Guess they could always go back and look since the feature currently is not working. If it was important to them I would think they would go back to see the responses anyway.

@CrazyDaisy . I don’t remember all the posts that I post on. When I check notifications and see someone mentioned me on a certain thread, half the the time I don’t even remember posting on that thread. 

Honored Contributor

Mine aren't working either.

Honored Contributor

I'm not going to lie, I like getting hearts, does that make me pathetic, I think no, but I don't care. Hearting  a post can mean I agree too or to let someone know who mentioned me I read your comment. I feel it's just good social etiquette.