Respected Contributor

Which Old Wive's Tales Do You Believe?

I have one I will carefully mention later.

Thanks,  Cathy

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Old Wive's Tales Do You Believe?

None.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Ginger tea helps with chronic cough problems.  

Honored Contributor

None  that I can think of.  That stuff wasn't a biggie in my family.

Respected Contributor

None of them! The one about shaving makes facial hair grow back darker/thicker makes me nuts...there is NOTHING about cutting the top of a hair off that will change the color or the thickness of the hair. What people are feeling is the cut end of the hair, and what they are seeing as "more" hair is probably very fine hair that they'd never noticed before growing back after being shaved the 1st time. Also, with age facial hairs can become coarser/thicker and the quanitity can increase...but it has nothing to do with cutting the ends of the hair off.

If this was true, we'd all be shaving our heads to get thicker hair!

Respected Contributor

Way back when I was a teen my mom said we could only can food "certian" times of the month.  Sure enough it proved to be true.  How wierd is that?

Respected Contributor

Chicken soup helps when you are suffering from a cold.

Vicks Vapo Rub helps ease a chest cold.

Milk causes mucous buildup and should be avoided when you suffer from a cold. 

Honored Contributor

I don't call them 'old wives' tales'.  Some people might.  I was raised by my Grandmother.  Her Mother was a Cherokee Indian.

Growing up, I heard many stories and superstitions.  I also know a lot of remedies that actually work.

OK, here's one that will make you chuckle (just because of the 'spin' I will add).

My youngest daughter pictured herself as a great photographer.  I'd like my next sentence to say she was.  Unfortunately (growing up....she wasn't).  Yet she always wanted to be the one taking the family pictures...(with the camera).

The family joke was after we'd picked up the pictures from the store....we'd sit and try to figure out who or what she was TRYING (key word...'trying') to capture on film.

Sometimes it would be a leg.  Sometimes an arm.  If we were lucky it would be enough of the face we could recognize the person who was 'supposed' to be in the picture.....that seldom happened.

Now here (finally) is the family lore.  My Grandma always said that she was taught when a picture was taken, each time the camera takes a tiny part of a person's (forget the word SHE used)...I'll call it soul.  

The only way to 'preserve' (again, my interpretation) the soul was to never throw away the picture.

Can you see where this is going?

Well.......to wrap this story (we'll call it that) up...I have very, very large boxes of pictures that are arms, legs, body parts of people.

She did take some pictures that were good enough for albums (yes, I also have many, many family albums).

However, until she got older, the pictures were....well...they might be good for someone who's studying anatomy...(human anatomy).

I would be remiss if I didn't finish this by saying my daughter (yes, the same daughter) now takes such amazing pictures of her beautiful, beloved Colorado (and surrounding states), she could easily sell them to companies that make calendars.

As a matter of fact, every Christmas she gives everyone in the family calendars with pictures she's taken throughout the year.

They're so good, I've had visitors ask me where I bought such beautiful calendars and (get this) how I managed to get some with my daughter, her boyfriend and dog in the picture.  

One word Snapchat.

Honored Contributor

The dead cant hurt you, only the living can.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)