Honored Contributor
Workers in nursing homes ignore basic hygiene practices. I unfortunately observed this first hand when my mother was in several. Never found one that was sanitary. I would just assume every resident will contract this virus.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Workers in nursing homes ignore basic hygiene practices. I unfortunately observed this first hand when my mother was in several. Never found one that was sanitary. I would just assume every resident will contract this virus.

@lovesrecess   The first home my Mom was in (moved her out in 2 weeks), we noticed all the helpers that were not the medical professionals were not even washing their hands before feeding her, changing her, etc. I'm sure some were working for minimal wages and would now come in sick because they could not afford to miss a check. Mom used to say sometimes her meals would be 2 hrs. late and they didn't care because she was 90 and dying soon anyway. What an awful feeling! We packed her up and moved her the next day. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

When all this started, I thought folks in nursing homes would be safer than, for example, my parents, who are in their 80's and still on their own.  Now I'm not so sure.  Most nursing homes that I know shut out visitors in the pandemic's early stages.  So who brought the virus in?  Their own workers?  Terrible.

@ValuSkr, not only are they not safer, but it's either their positive testing or their deaths (can't remember which) is the highest percentage Covid victims.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Nursing homes across the country are getting slammed with the virus. 19 homes in my county alone, and more everyday.

It’s not always the fault of the care staff. Nursing homes are at the bottom of the supply list for PPE and some did a poor job of suppling gloves, gowns and masks even before COVID.