Regular Contributor

“No problem”

A friend of mine went off on Facebook about people who say “no problem” as a response to “thank you” rather than “you’re welcome.” My first thought was that he’s kind of rude to be complaining about someone who’s done something nice for him. I will always say “you’re welcome” first, but then I realized that I do say “no problem” to people who continue to over thank me. The “over thanker” makes me feel like they believe my helping them is somehow a burden to me, so I say “no problem” as if to say “really, it’s not an inconvenience.” Does this really bother people?

Respected Contributor

Re: “No problem”

People have gone off on this here quite a few times. I don’t have the time or energy to get upset about such trivialities. 

Trusted Contributor

Well, apparently it bothered your friend enough to rant about it.

I guess I don't notice it that much. I'm guessing there's much more bothering him than people saying "no problem" but that was the venting mechanism he choose to employ. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful and important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

i dont notice it much, but it does not bother me at all.

i have probably said "no problem" myself sometimes......i have also said "youre welcome," "my pleasure," "of course," "anytime," and more.....

"If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body will soon follow." - Arab Proverb
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, it has come up here in the past, and here's what I wrote the last time:

I'm a "no problem" responder. Good heavens, take it how it's meant: A cheerful "It was no imposition at all, I'm happy to do (whatever) for you, and you're welcome."

ETA: A common response I hear a lot from younger people these days is "of course!" when they are thanked for doing something. That one doesn't bother me either, as (again) I take it in the spirit that it is offered.

Honored Contributor

It does bother some, so I try to say "I was happy to do it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Around here it just seems to be "millenial speak." I don't say it and neither do my friends, but I have no problem with it - LOL! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I think phrases or expressions become popular for a while and are eventually replaced. 

I used to talk badly about people. Now, I “throw shade”. 😀

Trusted Contributor

I'm certainly no millenial, but I often say "No problem" when thanked. To those that don't like it, please tell me so I can simply not answer your thanks.

Respected Contributor

Saying "no problem" started in the 60s. I remember "No prob, Bob."  It's not a millinenal thing.  That generation usually says "No worries."