Valued Contributor

A friend of mine went off on Facebook about people who say “no problem” as a response to “thank you” rather than “you’re welcome.” My first thought was that he’s kind of rude to be complaining about someone who’s done something nice for him. I will always say “you’re welcome” first, but then I realized that I do say “no problem” to people who continue to over thank me. The “over thanker” makes me feel like they believe my helping them is somehow a burden to me, so I say “no problem” as if to say “really, it’s not an inconvenience.” Does this really bother people?

Honored Contributor

People have gone off on this here quite a few times. I don’t have the time or energy to get upset about such trivialities. 

Respected Contributor

Well, apparently it bothered your friend enough to rant about it.

I guess I don't notice it that much. I'm guessing there's much more bothering him than people saying "no problem" but that was the venting mechanism he choose to employ. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

i dont notice it much, but it does not bother me at all.

i have probably said "no problem" myself sometimes......i have also said "youre welcome," "my pleasure," "of course," "anytime," and more.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: “No problem”

[ Edited ]

Yes, it has come up here in the past, and here's what I wrote the last time:

I'm a "no problem" responder. Good heavens, take it how it's meant: A cheerful "It was no imposition at all, I'm happy to do (whatever) for you, and you're welcome."

ETA: A common response I hear a lot from younger people these days is "of course!" when they are thanked for doing something. That one doesn't bother me either, as (again) I take it in the spirit that it is offered.

Honored Contributor

It does bother some, so I try to say "I was happy to do it.

Honored Contributor

Around here it just seems to be "millenial speak." I don't say it and neither do my friends, but I have no problem with it - LOL! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I think phrases or expressions become popular for a while and are eventually replaced. 

I used to talk badly about people. Now, I “throw shade”. 😀

Respected Contributor

I'm certainly no millenial, but I often say "No problem" when thanked. To those that don't like it, please tell me so I can simply not answer your thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Saying "no problem" started in the 60s. I remember "No prob, Bob."  It's not a millinenal thing.  That generation usually says "No worries."