Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb   It doesn't bother me and I also say "no problem" sometimes.  I will say "you're welcome first but I have an Etsy shop and will get some customers over thanking me or making multiple requests for something. Often that's when I'll say that it's no problem.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I think phrases or expressions become popular for a while and are eventually replaced. 

I used to talk badly about people. Now, I “throw shade”. 😀

shoekitty said,  "Exactly".  lol!

Honored Contributor

I think it is a generational thing.  Younger people say NO PROBLEM.  I am a 50’s child and just say YOU ARE WELCOME...or   It was MY PLEASURE TO HELP YOU.  

it does not bother me because I know it is just how this generation speaks.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb 

Sounds like your friend wants to control the replies she gets to her comments.

Respected Contributor

If someone says "thank you" I believe the I believe the proper response is "you're welcome."  I'm old so maybe it it a generational thing.  I guess it really doesn't bother me if someone says "no problem" but I do think it it rather rude.  I just don't obsess about it.

Honored Contributor

Some people say "Forget it" as a response to "Thank you". I remember my parents generation saying that. But today I think it sounds rude somehow.

Honored Contributor

This was a friend and neighbor's pet peeve, or one them. I'm only guessing here, but I think that the negative reaction is to the idea that there was any "problem" to begin with.

But that's not all the intent behind the words. It is not to be rude or impolite; it's the equivalent of a positive acknowledgment.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

"No problem" in response to "thank you" irks me.

It comes off as dismissive instead of a sincere "you're welcome".

However, it would demonstrate poor manners to correct the person saying so.

Respected Contributor

Re: “No problem”

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This was a friend and neighbor's pet peeve, or one them. I'm only guessing here, but I think that the negative reaction is to the idea that there was any "problem" to begin with.

But that's not all the intent behind the words. It is not to be rude or impolite; it's the equivalent of a positive acknowledgment.

Exactly. I don't find any positive acknowledgment to be rude.  

Respected Contributor

If I've ever said 'no problem' instead of you're welcome its gotta be a very rare occasion. My older brother always says that 'no problem' and he's old - almost 70 - so it's not a millenial thing.  I remember when my Mom was alive, she thought it was rude of him to say that. She'd say, "what's that supposed to mean?"  I tend to agree.  Seems dismissive, more like just a comment.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing