Respected Contributor

@homedecor1

very interesting.  i'm glad you followed up on this.  i have a friend that works in our hoa's office.  i'll have to ask her if she's heard anything.

no resident at that address on the return label sounds ominous indeed. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Nextdoor.com

[ Edited ]

No, I wouldn't be interested in anything like that. 

I think there would be a lot of privacy issues with a site like that.

Honored Contributor

UPDATE 🙂

So, I signed up yesterday to the network and already have had help with an issue.👍

I put up a post  just this morning  asking for the name of a contractor that could fix some wood siding on my house .  A nice lady who lives only blocks from me private messaged me that her husband who has contracting business would be happky to come and give me an estimate  for repair....been in business for 20 years. Licensed, bonded and insured...he came out in an hour! Nicest man. Works with his son.  He told what he could do....  and I am going to get the siding fixed!   I have been calling and calling people who NEVER. Returned  my calls....or never came out.

This  network in one morning  helped me so much! I am thrilled.  I give it a thumbs up!👍 

Esteemed Contributor

I got an invite a few years ago but it seemed they wanted too much info at the time so  didn't do it; however, I do belong to a few of my community groups on FB and it seems to be pretty similar in that we ask each other for recommendations for repairs, etc., we may need, find out what kind of crime is happening, what the sirens were for, you name it.  It is a fabulous little group.

Esteemed Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

It's useful for some things. As others mentioned it's a good source for sharing reviews of trades people like plumbers and electricians. But it's a hive for negativity and busybodies, at least in my community. I always thought anonymity of message boards encouraged people to misbehave. Was I wrong. Some of the posts on Nextdoor are so venomous they could singe the eyebrows off your face.

@Say Nay

Your neighbors sound terrible. My site doesn't have mean people posting.

Honored Contributor

I have more people on mute than off mute on mine.  

I hired a contractor off of it last week and the first thing he did was ask me about the 2 nasty people in my HOA that post there.  Apparently one of them reported his post because he posted about his contracting business in the general feed instead of classifieds. 

Lots of immaturity (starting stupid polls to annoy people), lots of cliques and posting of private messages publicly.

It's like Junior High.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Nextdoor.com

[ Edited ]

Yes joined several weeks ago, very informative. I really appreciate nieghbors recommending contractors, lawn people, repairmen, honey do guys(lol), crime, fun events going on etc. No Gossip so far...at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

My community is made up of two different HOAs and types of houses.  It has a class system.  SFH are the highest form of life and the condos I live in is the lowest form of light, just above renters in said condos.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

It's useful for some things. As others mentioned it's a good source for sharing reviews of trades people like plumbers and electricians. But it's a hive for negativity and busybodies, at least in my community. I always thought anonymity of message boards encouraged people to misbehave. Was I wrong. Some of the posts on Nextdoor are so venomous they could singe the eyebrows off your face.

@Say Nay

Your neighbors sound terrible. My site doesn't have mean people posting.

Fortunately it's just a few who feel the need to be horrible to others. One of the meanies was caught tossing his old patio furniture next to his neighbor's brick wall. He was outted on Nextdoor and his response was "yah, so what". I thanked the powers that be that he isn't my neighbor.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Not interested in joining.    I prefer to personally choose which neighbors I share personal info with, and don't want to share with people I don't know.

I first heard about this site from a postcard in my mailbox from a neighbor who was promoting it.   He's new to the neighborhood and for a number of reasons, I don't trust him.   So, I decided at that time not to join.   

I think he got or gets some kind of kickback for starting and promoting the site.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent