Honored Contributor

I'd never heard of Nextdoor.com.  I just wrote down a bunch of numbers for people who do stuff I need to get done that I can't do myself!

Thanks for posting about it.

Respected Contributor

@missy1

thank you for responding. 

i highly doubt that because we are in calif and we definitely would have been notified on our website.  chp does come out here, but it isn't a common occurence.   we shall see what happens!

Esteemed Contributor

I love this site. I've been using it for almost a year and have given great referrals and have received great referrals. You type ur zip code in and answer a few minor questions. No one knows if ur on the site until u post or respond. A few weeks ago, I posted on QVC that I had diverticulitis. I waited til the 3rd day of major pain to call the doctor. They wrote up a prescription and I would have had to go to Walmart - 12 minutes away - to pick it up. This was not possible. I posted on this site - about needing someone to pick up my prescription. 5 minutes later, a woman knocked on my door. She lives on the next street over, but I never met her. She also picked up applesauce and electrolytes drinks for me. I also found a very good hairdresser, electrician, mobile dog groomer on this site. You don't have to put information on there - u could be as anonymous as u want. The police dept, fire dept. and people from city government cannot read our reviews - but they post lots of information about what's going on around town. Definitely recommend.

Honored Contributor

A member of our HOA board published the names , addresses, phone # and e mails of everyone in the plan who gave permission to do so. It certainly is nice to be able to whip off an e mail or a text when you need /want to communicate with someone and it isn't urgent enough to disturb them with a call.

Just this weekend I sent a text to someone who had an antique sewing machine for sale and she texted back it was gone.Quick & efficient.

Honored Contributor

My neighborhood has been on there since 2012.

It is a big giant crab session.  Many a day have been dedicated to pondering the issue of dog poop.

I turned off all of my notifications and will occasionally peek in when I hear or see something going on in the neighborhood.  And then I read the latest complaint threads and realize that I turned off my notifications for a reason.

Nextdoor apparently doesn't let moderators remove people who are pains in the neck.  But you can mute them.

Due to the disruption there, a Facebook group was formed and so there are multiple conversations going on in both places.

Soon we will have a message board on our community website, so we will get off of Nextdoor and Facebook and have more control/moderation of the forum.

Internet + People = More Bad Thank Good

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nextdoor.com

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  Yes, I joined and am very happy that I did. It doesn't cost anything and I can think of no cons whatsoever. It's amazing to me how it makes me feel that the neighbors have come together, so to speak. Lots of things given away for free, ideas for contractors, etc. I love it !!

I posted our washer on it as a free item and had three calls. Someone came and got it and took the broken dryer as well.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I am enjoying being a member.  I get good leads on things I need.  Examples: Looking for a dog walker for only one day.  I found an excellent person to mow our lawn after my husband had a minor fall.  He is still on the job one year later.  Hubby got healed but then spoiled by the ease of not having to do the work himself. 

I can also find out about the neighborhood... lost dogs, cats. 

Also there are private messages so you don't have to go public once you find something you are interested in. 

I love Next Door.

Respected Contributor

It's useful for some things. As others mentioned it's a good source for sharing reviews of trades people like plumbers and electricians. But it's a hive for negativity and busybodies, at least in my community. I always thought anonymity of message boards encouraged people to misbehave. Was I wrong. Some of the posts on Nextdoor are so venomous they could singe the eyebrows off your face.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of it until now. I looked, we have it here in our country devlelopment. I dont think I am joining though. There is a page on facebook that i can look up info and things going on around the area.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Nextdoor.com

[ Edited ]

@ladyroxanne

I recently got a "postcard" & letter within 2 weeks invite directing me to the site.

I had never heard of it NOR the return addressee name OR address although it was indicated she was a resident of our gated deeded community.

I took both the postcard & invite to the BOD & Community Mgr -- guess what NO such resident at the address given on return label...

obviously, I trashed that invite - but honestly, I'd never give a stranger my personal info (even if it was a neighbor!)