Honored Contributor

Re: Nextdoor.com

[ Edited ]

@Lion wrote:

Not interested in joining.    I prefer to personally choose which neighbors I share personal info with, and don't want to share with people I don't know.

I first heard about this site from a postcard in my mailbox from a neighbor who was promoting it.   He's new to the neighborhood and for a number of reasons, I don't trust him.   So, I decided at that time not to join.   

I think he got or gets some kind of kickback for starting and promoting the site.

Correct.  I believe you get Starbucks gift cards from Nextdoor for all of the people who join based on your referral.  I think it's in effect when you are first getting your neighborhood started.  I don't think my community gets them anymore now that we are well established.

There is also the Amazon gift card promotion if you refer someone who starts a new Nextdoor neighborhood site. I think you both get $25 Amazon gift cards.

There's also a Pilot period of 21 days, so if you are launching a new neighborhood, you need at least 10 verified members in order to maintain your site.  The Starbucks gift card may be from my community and not from Nextdoor.  It was a long time ago.  But I think they may have done that to get things moving.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nextdoor.com

[ Edited ]

So far so good I joined my neighborhood Nextdoor network not too long ago because I was invited by an neighbor, before that I had no idea this existed.  I remember we use to have a "Block Association" but this is so much easier you don't have to set meetings at a neighbor's home, etc.  I found it very informative as far as business advertising, issues in the community, how to and where to go to resolve complaints or concerns.  Safety issues and just general conversations.  As with any other social media type forum I do not post private or other info like no pictures, etc.

My local precinct also posts info on the site which is helpful.

Honored Contributor

What a coincidence. I received a mailer and signed up for our local Nextdoor. Now I'm not too sure about the whole thing. I was bombarded initially with messages, so I did change my settings. But so much of it seems to be people selling stuff or complaining.

My daughter, who lives in the town adjacent to ours, told me that she's seen pretty heinous posts (racial in content) on her Nextdoor. And I have no doubt that might tend to attract some nuts who have a lot of time.

I'm not so worried about privacy. I'm considering deleting it, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I live in a rural area; nevertheless, we have multiple FB groups for our PO designation, as well as several nextdoor groups for ours & adjoining areas.

The Nextdoor groups are politer, but very quiet. Pretty much duds as far as usefulness because there aren't many posts.

The FB groups - lol. There are at least four different ones. The main one is Whine/Bit** City - neighbors, those who litter, LE, govt, whatever. When it isn't that it's loose/missing pets or every single accident or ambulance fire call. These people sit on the LE websites 24/7.

They have "donts" re posting but the admins ignore the donts they want to do themselves and only delete/comment on those posted by people they don't like. They say No Drama but let their BFFs post drama all day long.

In counterpoint, at least one other There Will Be No Drama group formed, which I happily joined; it's dead. Another, original group is also pretty dead because, again, no drama.

There is no group in my area, nextdoor or FB either one, that consists of people who do not enjoy trash-talking and whiny bit**-fests but who do want to exchange info. 

Some of these people keep literal track every minute of every single living creature that passes their house or appears on their street/road. It's like Neighborhood Watch from He**. Seriously. 

I know "what's going on" but the people who keep me "informed" mostly disgust me. No way I want them knowing where I live.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I live in a rural area; nevertheless, we have multiple FB groups for our PO designation, as well as several nextdoor groups for ours & adjoining areas.

The Nextdoor groups are politer, but very quiet. Pretty much duds as far as usefulness because there aren't many posts.

The FB groups - lol. There are at least four different ones. The main one is Whine/Bit** City - neighbors, those who litter, LE, govt, whatever. When it isn't that it's loose/missing pets or every single accident or ambulance fire call. These people sit on the LE websites 24/7.

They have "donts" re posting but the admins ignore the donts they want to do themselves and only delete/comment on those posted by people they don't like. They say No Drama but let their BFFs post drama all day long.

In counterpoint, at least one other There Will Be No Drama group formed, which I happily joined; it's dead. Another, original group is also pretty dead because, again, no drama.

There is no group in my area, nextdoor or FB either one, that consists of people who do not enjoy trash-talking and whiny bit**-fests but who do want to exchange info. 

Some of these people keep literal track every minute of every single living creature that passes their house or appears on their street/road. It's like Neighborhood Watch from He**. Seriously. 

I know "what's going on" but the people who keep me "informed" mostly disgust me. No way I want them knowing where I live.

@Moonchilde, I know the type very well.

Image result for pics of gladys kravitz spying

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Love it.  Joined and am not sorry.  I have found a computer tech gal who is not over the top in charges.  I have gotten advice for a dry cleaner for a over sized quilt... again fair price point.  I am aware of yard sales, lost pets, neighborhood services of all kinds.  I have even found buyers for things that otherwise I would not have had an outlet for.  It goes on and on. There is also a feeling that if something should happen we are made aware, as in a neighbors car was broken into.  

And yes, there is always someone who is not all that nice.  I was reported for asking help for my daughter when she needed to move stuff.  The person thought I was advertising in the wrong place.  Turned out she actually did not read what I wrote. 

Please check it out.  I do not feel that my privacy is being invaded.  That is what the Internet is for... LOL.

Honored Contributor

just joined about a month ago.

have found some interesting information and recommendations in our group.

i do receive a daily email with a synopsis of things that are posted.

i really like it so far.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3, the weird part (to me) is that these people are in their 30s & 40s behaving this way, not old busybodies. Gah..

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

No way!  I don't want my neighbors knowing my business.  I was the second person to move into my neighborhood (39 years ago).

Honored Contributor

We had a couple of really horrible posts on our Nextdoor site this year regarding some local laws being passed and some school stuff.  It's one thing to post your opinion in a matter of fact manner, but this was just a person who had a lot to say on the matter and personally attacked people who posted an opposing view or called them out for being nasty.

Unfortunately, Leads are not allowed to kick people off.  All they can do is close a thread from further posts.

There are about 3000 people connected to my neighborhood, so we get a ton of stuff being sold or given away every day, so it's important to set up your notifications to screen some of that out as it can get overwhelming.

I will say that in the last 2 weeks I've been redecorating and had some furniture I needed to throw out.  I posted it as free and it was all picked up within 2 hours.  One of my neighbors said her son was getting his first college apartment and free furniture is perfect for these boys as there will be 6 of them living together and they have no furniture.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN