Honored Contributor

Re: New hire- something different

I spent my career working in a public office where we actually kept lists of unusual names we encountered.  My favorite was a Native American man whose first name was Silliboy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I've seen it done that way.  Actually, I am seeing triple hyphenated names now.  Susan Jones-Smith gets married and becomes Susan Jones-Smith-Brown.  I don't even want to think what they do with their children's names.  

This reminds me a young lady we met at a party her last name was hyphenated and she was engaged to marry a guy whose last name was also hyphenated.!!!!

They was struggling to figure out what to do when they got married, let alone when they had children.

Esteemed Contributor

The universe definitely has a sense off humor!!!

@Janey2 wrote:

I knew an Intelligent and Beautiful. They were neither. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My sister asked a client at C&Y how to pronounce her new daughter's name.  She replied Fa mal ee, but that was what the hospital named her. My sister asked what she meant by the hospital named her  and she answered that was what was on her bracelet.  The baby had female on her hospital wrist band.

I thought she was kidding until she swore on Dad's grave. I have often wondered how that child was making out with that start.

That is a very old, urban legend story.

I was just about to post the same thing.  I've been hearing that for many years.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan   This woman was a client of my sister's.  My sister dealt with the Mother and baby.  She  knows the difference between an actual event she got first hand and an "urban legand".

You have no idea of the strange and bizarre names she's heard in 30 yrs.

Respected Contributor

Saw a show where the mother named her daughter A Miracle.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My sister asked a client at C&Y how to pronounce her new daughter's name.  She replied Fa mal ee, but that was what the hospital named her. My sister asked what she meant by the hospital named her  and she answered that was what was on her bracelet.  The baby had female on her hospital wrist band.

I thought she was kidding until she swore on Dad's grave. I have often wondered how that child was making out with that start.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'm surprised that one is still going around.  My mom heard that story back in the 1970's at a hospital where she worked - a baby with Female on the bracelet was read as Fe-ma-lay by her Hispanic mother.

I"ve heard this other times and it's always been a Hispanic mother.  Something not quite right with that urban legend/joke.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

That reminds me of a pet name..Dog and pronounced DeeOgee.I think it is kind of cute once you know how to say it.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'm surprised that one is still going around.  My mom heard that story back in the 1970's at a hospital where she worked - a baby with Female on the bracelet was read as Fe-ma-lay by her Hispanic mother.

I"ve heard this other times and it's always been a Hispanic mother.  Something not quite right with that urban legend/joke.

I agree @Cakers3 .

The mother in the story is always of an ethnic background. I think it is one of those "snicker snicker" underhanded stereotyping jokes that have been told so long people believe it is true.

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I've never heard of it and I don't know anybody that named their child with a hyphenated first name.  A trend?  Probably not.  

What does she want to be called?  Jeffrey-Angela?  That's awkward to say...

Yes she goes by Jeffrey-Angela she feels since it is her parents names it is disrespectful to have a nickname.  Everyone calls her by her full name, but she does admit is very hard to say and is ackward because it does not flow. 

In real life-- her name would flow if they put her mom's name FIRST!

What's odd is her other siblings do not have either Jeffrey or Angela in their names.  !?!?!?