Respected Contributor

New hire- something different

We hired a new college grad at work last week

her father's name is Jeffrey, her mother's name is Angela

the new hire's name is Jeffrey- Angela Jennifer Smith 

She goes by Jeffrey -Angela, Jennifer is her middle name  (names changed for posting purposes)

I have never seen the father's name first for a daughter when creating a hyphenated first name for a child.

I thought it was different.

Hopefully she does not get married and hyphenate her last name!!

Are people seeing this as a trend?

Honored Contributor

Re: New hire- something different

I've never heard of it and I don't know anybody that named their child with a hyphenated first name.  A trend?  Probably not.  

What does she want to be called?  Jeffrey-Angela?  That's awkward to say...

Honored Contributor

People name their kids all kinds of nutty stuff now.  I don't even bat an eye except to say poor kids, and it's sort of childabuse to me.  Probably get them laughed and and taunted then the parents will get angry and SUE SUE SUE! And get on tv.  And get someone at school FIRED.  And be happy about that. 

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   I don't get it.  I understand unusual names, but why make it difficult for the child during their early life and in school having to explain their name to every new teacher, every time they sign up for something, and even their job applications.  

The most unusual name I ever heard of was a woman who's name was La-a.  When someone couldn't pronouce it, she became very angry....imagine having to deal with that your entire life.

La-a.    Try to say it out loud - I will post how it's pronounced in the next post. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I work with a Bobanne. Easy to figure that one out. And I know a Stevie Marie. Same theme. I know a Dennis who's mother is Denise. He has his dad's middle name. Talk about creating mini-meeees! But their family. Their choice.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

La-a.

Pronounced LA-DASH-AH.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Omg @CAcableGirl2  I never would have guessed that pronounciation.  What a ridiculous name and ridiculous way to spell it.  

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

La-a.

Pronounced LA-DASH-AH.  

Oh wow.  

I never would have guessed that's how that name is pronounced.  

Esteemed Contributor

Gosh, I won’t even use my maiden name as my middle name when I got married like most women do. I use the name I was given. I am (not my real name) Mary Sue Smith, not Mary Smith Jones. I always hated my last name when growing up and couldn’t wait to ditch it when I got married. 

Esteemed Contributor

My sister asked a client at C&Y how to pronounce her new daughter's name.  She replied Fa mal ee, but that was what the hospital named her. My sister asked what she meant by the hospital named her  and she answered that was what was on her bracelet.  The baby had female on her hospital wrist band.

I thought she was kidding until she swore on Dad's grave. I have often wondered how that child was making out with that start.