Esteemed Contributor

Re: New hire- something different

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@NYC Susan   This woman was a client of my sister's.  My sister dealt with the Mother and baby.  She  knows the difference between an actual event she got first hand and an "urban legand".

You have no idea of the strange and bizarre names she's heard in 30 yrs.

I'm not sure why I'm being singled out.  I was agreeing with another poster.  Others here have agreed with her as well.  I first heard this "Female" thing at least 10 years ago, and probably longer than that.

It may very well be your sister's experience.  But that doesn't mean it wasn't an urban legend first.  And she very well may have heard strange and bizarre names.  But the "Female" thing isn't that strange or bizzare to those of us who have heard it many times before.

Esteemed Contributor

Parents who would name their child using both of their own first names have some "me" issues.....JMO.

Honored Contributor

Re: agaRe: New hire- something different

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ..........and she can reproduce again!  Scary!

@Imaoldhippie 

Wish I could give this a 1000 Hearts ! ♥️💛💚💜❤️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex 

Cute!

Have friends who named their dog Elbe.

‘Ell Bee’.

He came from the pound.  😊

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Jeffrey-Angela???  Sounds as though they are trying to merge male/female so as not to be female exlusive.   I think it's about people trying to be that more than ego-driven.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My daughter had a girl in her class named Marie-Davis Lauren Smith. She went by Marie-Davey.
Honored Contributor

I taught school for 35 years. The ridiculous names of students I taught could fill a book.
Honored Contributor

Have heard that many times. I had a student named Brian. The mother spelled it “ brain” on the birth certificate so the spelling stayed that way, imagine having to spell your name to every single person who had to write it.
Valued Contributor

I work for a bank.  People get very offended when i ask the childs last name.  You want to add your daughter as a authorized user???  Sure, Get all pissy when I ask her last name.  Or all pissy when I ask if she has the same last name.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My sister asked a client at C&Y how to pronounce her new daughter's name.  She replied Fa mal ee, but that was what the hospital named her. My sister asked what she meant by the hospital named her  and she answered that was what was on her bracelet.  The baby had female on her hospital wrist band.

I thought she was kidding until she swore on Dad's grave. I have often wondered how that child was making out with that start.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'm surprised that one is still going around.  My mom heard that story back in the 1970's at a hospital where she worked - a baby with Female on the bracelet was read as Fe-ma-lay by her Hispanic mother.

I"ve heard this other times and it's always been a Hispanic mother.  Something not quite right with that urban legend/joke.

I agree @Cakers3 .

The mother in the story is always of an ethnic background. I think it is one of those "snicker snicker" underhanded stereotyping jokes that have been told so long people believe it is true.

This is true of "La-a" as well, although that one's origins are racist towards a different demographic.  When Snopes first debunked that in 2008, they were unable to find any proof of that name ever having been used for a person.  I can't promise nobody's used it since, based on having heard this story...