Honored Contributor

All the Kardashian’s were these.

Honored Contributor

My guess is some of those nails are like stick on nails.

Stick on nails are made a lot better looking (i.e. natural) than back in my day (the 60's).

Honored Contributor

That shaping is not new?

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I have seen young women with the pointy nails, and all I can think is that everything old, is new again,

Pointy nails were popular in the 80's, I think.

Even before that, in the classic movies, most women had pointy nails.  I like mine kind of square or more of an oval.  I do not like pointy nails but the picture posted the nails look lovelySmiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Stiletto nails are not new. They've come into fashion periodically since at least the 1920's. Personally, I'm fine with the look itself. I guess you'd get used to them, but I'd no doubt injure myself multiple times in the process! I much prefer to be able to function.

@deedledeedeedle  I actually kind of like the look of "coffin" nails. But I'm still not sure about "lipstick" nails (where the nail tip is slated like a lipstick). And I'm all about any color/finish of nail polish. Once I retired, I went down the indie nail polish rabbit hole and haven't looked back.

@Cakers3 , @jellyBEAN , @Annabellethecat66  (and probably others)  While there are stick on stiletto nails, I'd say most of the ones you see online are either acrylic or gel (the kind you build, not gel polish).

I'm not sure how the actresses in the 1920's/1930's managed the look with natural nails. Of course I'm lucky if I can maintain a free edge on all ten nails  at the same time! Acrylic nails weren't developed until the 1950's, and gel nails in the 1980's.

Trusted Contributor

I've noticed those nails for the past year.  I wonder how you do anything without hurting yourself or others around you - couldn't imagine putting on mascara and then scratching my face in the process.  Not a fad for me..

Honored Contributor

With me, like I said previously, it's about 'getting clean' and all of the bacteria under those nails.

Short of carrying around a nail brush, there is no way anything can reach to the actual finger to get the ....(I'm thinking of an appropriate word)...junk that's just naturally under fingernails on a day to day basis.

Often they might look clean, but can you imagine the gunk that's way back there on those nails.

Truth be told (wow!  That phrase always sounds so intelligent (ha)...But I seldom see people with nails like that.

Maybe it's because I don't venture into DC very often (where people who'd have the money to keep it up might be?) but I don't notice it out this way.

I'm out and about a lot during the day but in places like restaurants, post office, etc.  I don't remember seeing something like that.

I do get pedicures but mostly in the summer.  I always go to the same place (I've followed this girl everywhere...she's constantly moving).  But I mostly notice normal looking nails being done.

Look!  I think this is like so many other things.  People who have 'normal' lives see this stuff on TV and we are lead to believe 'this is what you need to do to look 'cool'' but I think it's mainly on TV.

Years ago I had acrylic nails.  They were just barely above my fingertip.

It got to be a pain in the neck keeping the fill in them.  Then my ADD took over full force and the idea of the germs, I stopped getting them.

One reason it wasn't such a big deal to get them was because they were next door to my daughter's business.  She owned a tanning salon.  I'd go visit her and get my nails done.

She sold the business because she got tired of telling these young women they could not bring their kid into the room while tanning.  Then there were the young teenagers who wanted to get it done.  She'd say, "No way.  Too freaking young".

The hassel just wasn't worth it.