Honored Contributor

My remote gives the option of speaking or using the keys to navigate. I choose using the keys rather than speaking to the TV. Apparently, that's unacceptable since I keep getting messages on the screen telling me to say CBS, NBC, last, guide... If I wanted to TV talk, I would. It's annoying and presumes that I'm too slow witted to understand my remote since everyone would prefer the speaking option.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

My remote gives the option of speaking or using the keys to navigate. I choose using the keys rather than speaking to the TV. Apparently, that's unacceptable since I keep getting messages on the screen telling me to say CBS, NBC, last, guide... If I wanted to TV talk, I would. It's annoying and presumes that I'm too slow witted to understand my remote since everyone would prefer the speaking option.

@occasionalrain   LOL  Isn't there a way to turn off the voice command??

Those GPS systems can be a pain like that, too.  You say one city and it repeats a totally different city.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain  We have this option too but every time DH or I use it all kinds of different items come up because of our accents!  It is quite hilarious - so we mostly use keys we then get message to use our voice control!  

Honored Contributor

We recently switched to Xfinity HD for TV and since the channel #'s all changed to nothing remotely similar to the old channel #'s, I love that I can say the channel name or program name into the remote instead of pulling out the huge list of channels to try to find the new channel #'s every time I want to change to another channel/show.

I don't feel like they're presuming we are "too slow witted to understand my remote".

Different strokes for different folks as they say.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I just recently received a voice remote--unsolicited--from Dish, my provider.  I haven't hooked it up, nor do I intend to.  But I keep getting emails berating me about why I haven't hooked up this marvelous new invention.

I didn't ask for it, I don't want it, leave me alone!  Sheesh.

Trusted Contributor

I get the messages on my tv also to use the voice function.  I would do it but when I received this new box and remote we could not get the voice to work.    Called Comcast and guess what, they could not either.  But still they put up a reminder lol.

Honored Contributor

one of the BEST parts of xfinity......the voice remote is such a great feature to me.....and much faster to use than typing in the name of something to do a search.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I love Xfinity's voice remote but I don't think to use it when I "just" change the station to a channel I know.  The TV yells at me too lol.

Like someone else said - you can turn off the voice commands.  It's under settings/device settings - change voice control to off.

Esteemed Contributor

We don't have voice either. I am still capable of pushing a button while sitting down.

It's the same reason I don't want a disembodied voice, Siri or Alexa, in the house.

If I were physically unable to get up and do for myself it would be different.  Right now I can get off my butt and turn off the lights without assistance from Alexa.