Trusted Contributor

Re: New Mask Thread....warning if mask threads upset you😷

I feel it matters for all of us to keep listening to new information and learning as much as we can. This is all new, and it all keeps changing. We will have even better information later! For now, it's masks, staying home, etc. We humans are very resiliant and adaptive. We can resist the changes we need to make, or allow them.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Deree Read further.  They wear a different kind.

@Laura14   Not all healthcare workers wear N95's.  Many wear the accordion type masks that I wear every day.  And certainly other industries that create dust only wear dust masks.  So that would mean all those people have been having those harmful germs next to their faces for all the time those industries have been in place.  I don't think those non-N95 masks or other filter-less masks have caused harm.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree That was Dr. Jennifer Ashton's reporting and you can contact her at ABC News.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Deree That was Dr. Jennifer Ashton's reporting and you can contact her at ABC News.  

@Laura14  I'm not disputing she said that -- I should have continued by saying that was said at a time when the medical experts were trying to keep the public from hoarding masks that the frontline workers needed (as I said in a previous post).

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Frequent Contributor

I saw the WalMart announcement on CNN this afternoon and hope many other retailers, grocery stores, restaurants, etc, follow suit. Over the past 6 wks when places hace posted that maks are required to enter an establishment...I encountered numerous people violating the rule. I think the problem lies in the delivery of the mandate.....in particularm the words "guidelines, suggestions, and the like" need to be eliminated. In addition, the question of "What are you going to do about it if I don't wear a mask?" needs to be answered with specific consequences. At a minimum, there should be significant fines levied against anyone violating the firm mandate of "MASKS REQUIRED". Obviously our police forces cannot be everywhere all the time. In most cases, there is a manager-on-duty present when a business is open...and that manager should be empowered to enforce the posted mandate. Several managers have told me they aren't allowd (by their corporate office) to enfore the posted rule.  Absurd!!!!   That put you and I at risk.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I am not sure what anyone else saw in the beginning but the Dr. Ozs and Jennifer Ashtons did complete segments on why masks not only didn't help but could actually make you sicker by holding fluids and germs close to your face.  Don't wear them.

The masks the general public is primarily wearing then and now are not what the medical personnel needed or use so the whole shortage theory is nonsense to me.

They made a mistake based on the information they had at the time.  At some point, people like me become fatigued, tune it out, and as you can see, it takes some time to tune back in again especially when no one has the decency to say hey, we were wrong. New guidelines here.

And Dr. Drew talked about how this was just panic brought on by the media that there wouldn't be a problem.  It was just the media.

I have posted multiple times if you want information, just because someone has md behind their name doesn't mean you rely on what they say.  If I want information about a neuroblastoma, I am not going to listen to what a podiatrist has to say.  

And think about his.  Surgeons, scrub techs, nurses all wear masks for very long extended periods of time.   Scrub techs and surgical nurses never get a break really.   Some of those OR cases can go for 8 hours straight.  But even with shorter cases, they can drop the mask for a minute or 2 after a patient leaves their OR room, but the mask goes right back up to get ready for the next case, which believe me....they are rolling in the door before you are ready.

So if that were true....you would have sick surgeons, surgical techs, and nurses all of the time.  It just doesn't make logical sense.

Said the same thing when I read that wearing a mask would drop your oxygen concentration to dangerously low levels.  Couldn't help but respond that if that were true we would have a lot of dead surgeons, doctors, and nurses.  Or at least they would be fainting due to low oxygen. 

What do people think the nurses or doctors do that are working in covid ICUs?  

There can be something to say that wearing masks for long periods of time can cause local irritation or break outs on the face.  Nurses and doctors are very familiar with those issues.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Dr. Ashton is a gynecologist. Why would anyone get their information from a gynecologist regarding Covid19 is beyond me...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree She said that about the masks that were not in short supply.

@pitdakota @Trinity11  I think most of us believe that if someone is a medical expert cleared by ABC legal to provide medical information during a pandemic, we take the information at face value.  

With all of the agendas going around in media today, it would be a full time job trying to identify them all.  Listening to a quick segment while I am on my way and out the door to work is all I got.  That's the same reason I turned it off and look where that lack of information has gotten all of us.  

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew I’m also encouraged that the overall mortality rate has gone down with increased knowledge and more effective treatments. Unfortunately, we are starting to see the longer term effects of this disease. Surviving Covid does not necessarily mean you that you return to health and many people are suffering for months after testing negative, even those that weren’t hospitalized.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Dr. Ashton is a gynecologist. Why would anyone get their information from a gynecologist regarding Covid19 is beyond me...

@Trinity11    Very true but that's apparently what the major networks do.  No matter the doc's specialty they have them as catch-all medical experts.

Funny related story....   I needed a GI doc and wanted a female.  Found this Dr. R on line who had good credentials and reviews.  No sooner did I set up an appointment than I saw her on one of the networks as their "Medical Expert."  She was talking about diet and acne I think.  Next day she was talking about breast cancer.  Next day it was infectious disease. Oh wait!  I also saw her on a home decorating segment! I decided I wanted someone more dedicated to her specialty so I canceled my appointment.