Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighborhood Fireworks...

@Susan in California     I agree.   My Aussie gets so scared it's miserable to watch.  As you know Fireworks are illegal especially withnth4 drought and fire danger.   There have been several busts of fireworks recently.  One place had 5000 pounds of illegal fireworks and injured pol8ce and firefighter when they exploded

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@agb80 wrote:

I live in a neighborhood that one would think is inhabited by the middleclass but when it comes to fireworks you would be absolutely blown away to see the professional grade launch devices and huge higher than your house gorgeous designs up in the night sky that makes you just scratch your head....not middleclass at all when so many and I mean one house after another trying to outdo one another.

This is very expensive and they're spending vast amounts of dollars on this stuff.  Not the way we wish to spend our money, to be sure. 

The police don't even bother trying to stop it because there's too many that are doing it.  We always go outside to watch and it's breath taking and absolutely not being done by a corporation or other type of business that is licensed to do so.  We live in a residential district...no businesses allowed.  

@agb80 

Years ago a friend of my dad lived out in the country and had a firework stand...my brother and cousins used to help sell them....there are some very pretty and expensive ones you can purchase...  After the 4th the guy used to have a barbeque and invite friends over and he shot off some of the expensive fireworks ......some are pretty impressive....but like I said he lived out in the country so no neighbors to bother, and he had no animals either....perfect setting...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I hate them!!!! OK to watch but in my former neighborhod--those idiots buy  sticks of dynamite to shoot off--the whole house rattled and they went from just dusk until midnite or later---HATE THEM!!!

And now,  here in Seattle after the hellacious week of 100+ temps, the ground cover is brown and  tinder dry, so hot that the green leaves on the trees got burned and are brown now--am really afraid----

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Just because fireworks are being set off in neighborhoods by residents, does not mean those fireworks are "illegal."   Fireworks are sold legally everywhere, every state has different laws regarding when and where fireworks can be shot off.

Fireworks start going off here during the last week of June and will continue for another week or so.  We expect them.  We go sit in our driveway in the evenings and watch them.  As long as it's our neighbors who are spending big bucks to shoot them off and it's not my money going up in smoke, we just enjoy them.   It's once a year.  

But it's no longer once a year. It's gotten so any 'special' occasion is cause for the light and sound barrage. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@agb80 

@Miz IMac

well you're fortunate that it doesn't bother your dog but for those of us wh0 watch our dogs suffer it is n0 fun.

And cats... and wildlife... All for something so fleeting...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Just because fireworks are being set off in neighborhoods by residents, does not mean those fireworks are "illegal."   Fireworks are sold legally everywhere, every state has different laws regarding when and where fireworks can be shot off.

Fireworks start going off here during the last week of June and will continue for another week or so.  We expect them.  We go sit in our driveway in the evenings and watch them.  As long as it's our neighbors who are spending big bucks to shoot them off and it's not my money going up in smoke, we just enjoy them.   It's once a year.  

@tototwo  The legal fireworks sold in NY and NJ are sparklers, smoke bombs,et. They need to stay on the ground. No shooting fireworks into the air. So, I would say 'fireworks' at least real ones are not allowed in all states. My relative got arrested for going to Pa. to buy fireworks and coming back into the state with a car full of them.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@just bee Couldn't you just drape some blankets over the table to make a "safe place" for your dog? 

I'm sorry so many of you find fireworks so upsetting. I love them. My Mom always loved them & we always went to see the fireworks.

Now, my kids & grandsons all love them!

We did buy some small fireworks to do here, but we live on 2.5 acres surrounded by fields & woods so no one should be bothered by us. The horse & donkey don't care.

The big boys (My son & SIL) love setting them off while the grandsons ooh & aah. 

We all go as a big group to the fireworks in town to ooh & aah there, too!

@Dusty1 

Oh, we do!  We always have.  We cover the table -- to the floor -- with a thick comforter.

And we live in a brick house.  He just has extraordinary hearing.  Something we usually appreciate.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

It’s no secret. First, it’s all about money and politics — getting more money for the state and allowing stores to sell them. Second, caring about people and animals, please — the professional displays are not enough - people enjoy making as much noise as they can. They couldn’t care less unless they end up in the emergency room. While my situation is better than it used to be, I wish there were more compassion and kindness for people and animals. The fireworks mania is not just once a year for many. Any one live in a quiet place where people care?
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise  I was surprised to hear fireworks last night (Friday).  It seems some people cannot wait to make noise.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

They have been illegal in the city I live in for several years but you still hear them in the distance (across the bay) but they are not that loud.  I haven't heard any yet but everything is so dry after heatwave I hope people use good sense.