Trusted Contributor

Re: Neighborhood Fireworks...

I live in a neighborhood that one would think is inhabited by the middleclass but when it comes to fireworks you would be absolutely blown away to see the professional grade launch devices and huge higher than your house gorgeous designs up in the night sky that makes you just scratch your head....not middleclass at all when so many and I mean one house after another trying to outdo one another.

This is very expensive and they're spending vast amounts of dollars on this stuff.  Not the way we wish to spend our money, to be sure. 

The police don't even bother trying to stop it because there's too many that are doing it.  We always go outside to watch and it's breath taking and absolutely not being done by a corporation or other type of business that is licensed to do so.  We live in a residential district...no businesses allowed.  

Respected Contributor

@just bee Couldn't you just drape some blankets over the table to make a "safe place" for your dog? 

I'm sorry so many of you find fireworks so upsetting. I love them. My Mom always loved them & we always went to see the fireworks.

Now, my kids & grandsons all love them!

We did buy some small fireworks to do here, but we live on 2.5 acres surrounded by fields & woods so no one should be bothered by us. The horse & donkey don't care.

The big boys (My son & SIL) love setting them off while the grandsons ooh & aah. 

We all go as a big group to the fireworks in town to ooh & aah there, too!

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@just bee Couldn't you just drape some blankets over the table to make a "safe place" for your dog? 

I'm sorry so many of you find fireworks so upsetting. I love them. My Mom always loved them & we always went to see the fireworks.

Now, my kids & grandsons all love them!

We did buy some small fireworks to do here, but we live on 2.5 acres surrounded by fields & woods so no one should be bothered by us. The horse & donkey don't care.

The big boys (My son & SIL) love setting them off while the grandsons ooh & aah. 

We all go as a big group to the fireworks in town to ooh & aah there, too!

@Dusty1  As I mentioned in my OP, I enjoy fireworks at night, not during the day.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Well, I enjoy fireworks. 

Does not bother my dog or cat not one bit.

proxy-image-3.gifproxy-image-1.gifproxy-image.gifproxy-image-2.gif

@Mz iMac Love it!

Esteemed Contributor

The professional grade fireworks scare my cats, and they hide under my bed.

But last year when my town cancelled the city sponsored firework show, because of Covid, it was those same illegal fireworks that took their place, and filled that void.

I had fireworks shooting up in to the air in every direction around me. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Just because fireworks are being set off in neighborhoods by residents, does not mean those fireworks are "illegal."   Fireworks are sold legally everywhere, every state has different laws regarding when and where fireworks can be shot off.

Fireworks start going off here during the last week of June and will continue for another week or so.  We expect them.  We go sit in our driveway in the evenings and watch them.  As long as it's our neighbors who are spending big bucks to shoot them off and it's not my money going up in smoke, we just enjoy them.   It's once a year.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I don't like them at all. The noise is obnoxious, frightens the animals and quite frankly, if you've seen them then you've seen them. Even the somewhat impressive ones aren't that impressive.

@stevieb , I agree, when I was a kid they were great, now, even though they are illegal in my town, they will go off for days, and it's annoying. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fireworks are illegal in the city limits....BUT that didnt stop my inconsiderate neighbors from shooting firecrackers off at 1 AM and 2AM in the morning the past two nights and there's more to come Woman Frustrated....and these are "ADULTS" doing this...Woman Frustrated  If they shoot them off again I'm calling the Fireworks Hotline---let them get fined!  There are so many planned firework displays at different venues around the city and even "safe zones" on the outskirts of the city where people can enjoy watching and/or shooting off fireworks....They shouldnt be WAKING PEOPLE UP and scaring animals in the neighborhood....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@agb80 

@Miz IMac

well you're fortunate that it doesn't bother your dog but for those of us wh0 watch our dogs suffer it is n0 fun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

They started in my neighborhood the night of Juneteenth and there have been some most nights since.  I have one nervous dog that won't eat or go outside while they're being set off or for hours afterwards.  These inconsiderate jack***** are making me very angry.  Feel sorry for people trying to sleep or get children to sleep.  I don't know why we have to put up with this... Our mayor and my city councilman tell me they don't have the power to ban them even in our drought.  Fireworks lobby must be very powerful. 

@Kachina624 

My cats dont mind them but I DO---they set them off at all hours particularly in the wee hours in the morning...inconsiderate JERKS!

Well that's odd your city cant do anything...is there a State law or something prohibiting fireworks from being banned??? Our city issued an ordinance long ago banning them and always around New Years Eve and the 4th of July there were so many calls to the Police that they even created a separate Police Task Force and "hot line" to report firework violations....and let me tell you, according to the local news reports that line is very very popular....

The purchase, and/or transport or use of fireworks without an appropriate license or permit is illegal within the San Antonio city limits. Considered a Class C misdemeanor in the eyes of law, and can carry a fine of up to $2,000.  Section 2154.251(a)(1), (2)​ ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”