Honored Contributor

Re: Neighborhood Fireworks...

@Kachina624 

I understand not wanting to push the breeder for more in

A delicate situation like that 

Hugs to your two dogs

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

My dogs were so freaked out by the noise, I had to put their thundercoats on them, TV on and they were still shaking.

Here they start on Memorial weekend and go through the whole summer. These aren't just small firecrackers, these are loud. 

I feel bad for the veterans suffering PTSD and hearing this noise as well as animals. It also really disturbs nesting birds. 

Wish they would just ban them and have the experts do it.

Does it make any difference if the experts do it?  If they put on a fireworks show, it's of much greater magnitude and duration, resulting in the same detriment to animals and people, maybe worse.

What 'they' need to do is move to "silent fireworks" or perhaps put on a laser show to music instead of this noise pollution nonsense (and probable harmful smoke created). 

@Deree    It does make a difference if experts do it.  It's one event and done and doesn't go on for weeks at all hours.  Plus the experts know what they're doing and aren't going to burn down anyone's house. Their display is a lot more spectacular and usually just lasts about 30 minutes. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Someone is letting off quite a few here tonight. The dogs won't stop barking. I wear ear plugs at times on New Years and the 4th though it doesn't do much good.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

They started in my neighborhood the night of Juneteenth and there have been some most nights since.  I have one nervous dog that won't eat or go outside while they're being set off or for hours afterwards.  These inconsiderate jack***** are making me very angry.  Feel sorry for people trying to sleep or get children to sleep.  I don't know why we have to put up with this... Our mayor and my city councilman tell me they don't have the power to ban them even in our drought.  Fireworks lobby must be very powerful. 

@Kachina624 

My cats dont mind them but I DO---they set them off at all hours particularly in the wee hours in the morning...inconsiderate JERKS!

Well that's odd your city cant do anything...is there a State law or something prohibiting fireworks from being banned??? Our city issued an ordinance long ago banning them and always around New Years Eve and the 4th of July there were so many calls to the Police that they even created a separate Police Task Force and "hot line" to report firework violations....and let me tell you, according to the local news reports that line is very very popular....

The purchase, and/or transport or use of fireworks without an appropriate license or permit is illegal within the San Antonio city limits. Considered a Class C misdemeanor in the eyes of law, and can carry a fine of up to $2,000.  Section 2154.251(a)(1), (2)​ ...

@Spurt   I remember the fireworks rules in Texas being a lot more strick than the loosey-goosey regulations we have here.  Even the governor claims she is powerless to ban them due to state law.  I think we need to start bombarding our legislators.

My avatar collie came from a professional breeder in Amarillo.  She had about 10 dogs that she showed and bred, and had a nice kennel for them at the back of her property.

One year, a neighbor kid was setting off fireworks.  One landed on her kennel, catching fire and destroying the building and all the dogs that were inside including several AKC champions. She was, of course, broken hearted and took quite a financial and professional loss. 

@Kachina624 

That's a horrific story.  Years ago I had a collie named Stewart.  The sweetest, most angelic creature on earth.

Won't be surprised if I have nightmares now...

Anyway, I was just wondering if you were getting any of this storm tonight.  We took the dog out and it was just starting to look like we might get some good rain.  We did -- in Paradise Hills.

I sat outside with a glass of Salice Salentino and the fireworks were competing with the thunder.

Someone left their dog outside and he was in distress.  I gave up and came back inside.

I used to really enjoy Independence Day...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee   The fireworks have been awful this year in my neighborhood where we've never had problems with them before.  It's amazing that the masses have to put up with them so a few yahoos can be obnoxious.  I'm thoroughly disgusted with the situation. 

As usual, we didn't get a drop from the storm.  No thunder, lightening, no nothing.  I didn't even know there was a storm.  They always seem to skirt around my area.  At least the weeds didn't get watered. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@just bee   The fireworks have been awful this year in my neighborhood where we've never had problems with them before.  It's amazing that the masses have to put up with them so a few yahoos can be obnoxious.  I'm thoroughly disgusted with the situation. 

As usual, we didn't get a drop from the storm.  No thunder, lightening, no nothing.  I didn't even know there was a storm.  They always seem to skirt around my area.  At least the weeds didn't get watered. 

@Kachina624 

That used to be the case here.  Storms would just pass us by.  But we got nailed by that hail that came through.  The plants are just starting to recover.

It's almost 11:00 and the snap-crackle-pop-BOOM! continues...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I spent last night cuddling my daughter's heavily medicated Shih Tzu that is deathly afraid of the big booms.

She took my Grandaughter to see the professional Fireworks display. I told her I would stay with Pepper while everyone else went.

My brother has to medicate one of his Goldens....

It is a shame people feel so entitled that they shoot them off.....it is illegal around here, but you would never know it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

My dogs were so freaked out by the noise, I had to put their thundercoats on them, TV on and they were still shaking.

Here they start on Memorial weekend and go through the whole summer. These aren't just small firecrackers, these are loud. 

I feel bad for the veterans suffering PTSD and hearing this noise as well as animals. It also really disturbs nesting birds. 

Wish they would just ban them and have the experts do it.

Does it make any difference if the experts do it?  If they put on a fireworks show, it's of much greater magnitude and duration, resulting in the same detriment to animals and people, maybe worse.

What 'they' need to do is move to "silent fireworks" or perhaps put on a laser show to music instead of this noise pollution nonsense (and probable harmful smoke created). 

@Deree    It does make a difference if experts do it.  It's one event and done and doesn't go on for weeks at all hours.  Plus the experts know what they're doing and aren't going to burn down anyone's house. Their display is a lot more spectacular and usually just lasts about 30 minutes. 

It's been going on for about a week here. Last night (Saturday) they started at 7 pm and went to after midnight. I can't wait to see what these fools have in store for tonight. Last year they went on to almost 3 am. And then there's Christmas. We had idiots setting them off on Christmas Eve and every night through New Years Day. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

The fireworks situation has gotten out of control. My sweet dog is terrified by the them so I started giving her CBD treats several hours before the craziness starts and it seems to help. She has also discovered that the basement can be her safe place. Once the CBD kicks in she will go down the basement and sleep through it.

Honored Contributor

Pin on Good old Maxine