Super Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

You are a wonderful neighbor looking out for him, but just because he was napping in his chair watching tv doesn't mean all Is well.  It only means he's alive. My brother passed away in his lounge chair watching tv. You don't know how long your neighbor has been in the chair.  Maybe he can't get around or get out of the chair. I would definitely get a wellness check done. 

See my post #67. Since he hasn't gotten his mail in over a week & no sign of life something just isn't right. I agree with a lot of posters please call the police to do a wellness check NOW. Sorry I sound frantic but someone life could be at stake.

Honored Contributor

I always thought postal carriers would check on people if mail was left in the box for too many days?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I always thought postal carriers would check on people if mail was left in the box for too many days?

They do not. And I know this because I usually leave my mail in the box. I often don't go out for days. 

My sister was found dead on her couch after her newspapers piled up in front of her door and her phone went unanswered. Presumed heart attack.

The neighbor could have suffered a stroke and be dying of dehydration right now.  Just determining that he's breathing is not at all reassuring.

The police need to be called immediately. They can take things from there.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  - you may have heard him breathing and he moved, but something is not right if he's not getting his mail - especially his meds.

You need to go back by tomorrow and it he's still in the chair something is defintely wrong.

Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor concern

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

First off you are a wonderful caring person & neighbor BUT seeing the same in my community  -- the responsible kids or whoever don't "worry" because you do!!!

Time for you to have a chat with him & his family -- he is not your responsibility although it's nice you look out for him🙂.

Believe me if your neighbor passes these relatives will be the first ones with their hands out!  It happens often here, the person passes, relatives clean out house, and for sale sign up quickly.  They can't get the $$$ fast enough☹️.

I'm glad he's OK! But, a welfare check by the Sheriff would have been better as they can gain entry & frankly, you have the key to house so after they knocked if necessary they would know the next step.

Honored Contributor

Did you already tell us how old your neighbor is?  Does he have severe health issues?

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@drizzellla  - you may have heard him breathing and he moved, but something is not right if he's not getting his mail - especially his meds.

You need to go back by tomorrow and it he's still in the chair something is defintely wrong.

Honestly, tomorrow may be too late.

I'd go back and bang hard on the door.  If he doesn't answer, I'd open the door and yell his name and identify yourself.  LOUDLY.

If he doesn't respond, I'd call the police.  I'm sure they'd be there within minutes.  And, yes, I do think this is a matter for the police.  It's not *bothering* them, it could be the matter of life and death.

The fact that no lights have been on and the mail is stacking up and his family hasn't been there could mean that he is incompacitated.  

You could save a life, tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

Please, please, please @drizzellla call the police NOW!!!

We are begging you.

How would you feel if you waited until tomorrow to call, and he suffered serious complications from a stroke, because you waited?

Could you live with yourself knowing that you could  have, and should have acted sooner?

Would you be able to sleep at night?

Would you be able to look yourself in the eye in the mirror?

I wouldn't be able to.

What if it was you that needed help, but neighbors decided to wait, all the while you were deterating.

What if it was your loved one?

Please, don't put off calling the police.

You could be saving his life.

Is that really worth putting off until tomorrow?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   You have been more than a good neighbor-you have been a good friend.

Please stop hesitating to call the police for a wellness check.

While I understand he gave you a key-in the end you are not a relative.

Be very careful with this. 

Taking his mail and meds from his mail and entering his premises can back-fire on you. 

Regardless of his children/step-children-they will ultimately have the final rights and decisions.  You could very well end up being accused of stealing among other issues.

They may not be acting the way everyone else thinks but in the end they will be the final decision makers in all of this.

You've done your part through the years; it's time to let the police and senior social services takes over.  This situation is out of your expertise and legal rights.

Good luck and please do the right thing and get professional assistance.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Looks like Drizzella is offline. Hope she did the right thing.