Esteemed Contributor

Need an honest answer here....

I know this is stupid and I should know better but I decided that since we have over a half gallon of milk that is going to be "bad" in a few days, I would make some pudding.  I found two boxes of "Lemon" and "Cheesecake" puddings and made them.  Now, my husband, as he was throwing the boxes in the recycle bin, tells me they say "best if used by 2011".....  Does that powder really go bad OR does it mean that it just won't taste as great if it were fresher??????

Should I throw it all away and start over again?????

Regular Contributor

Re: Need an honest answer here....

I wouldn't eat it since the expiration was 5 years ago.  I heard a couple years ago about people getting sick eating pancakes made from expired mix.  Something about the ingredients breaking down after a period of time & becoming toxic.  Not worth getting sick & ending up in the hospital to save the couple dollars to buy new.  You could probably google "consuming expired foods" to get a more accurate answer.

Trusted Contributor

My motto in a situation like this is "if in doubt, throw it out"😀

Honored Contributor

If something has an expiration date, I go by it.  Doesn't matter if it smells okay, etc.

Honored Contributor

It's 5 years beyond the "use by" date.  Throw it away.  Why take  chances?  I go through my cabinets around Thanksgiving every year and toss the old stuff out.  Something like that would never happen to me.  This is also why I don't eat food prepared by people I don't know...very well.

Honored Contributor

Dates on packages are complicated. There are ones that are basically pull by dates for stores, such as on milk. It doesn't mean the milk is bad after that date. They just can't legally sell it. Most expiration dates on packaged foods aren't required by law and are there to encourage you to throw away items and buy new ones. Best buy dates generally mean that the flavor could be reduced after the date. So will the dry milk powder, sugar and flavoring in instant pudding make you sick 5 years later, no I don't think it will. Will it taste good? I don't know, you'd have to taste it and see. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks ladies.  It's gone...... I bought Jello yesterday and will make that instead......

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Dates on packages are complicated. There are ones that are basically pull by dates for stores, such as on milk. It doesn't mean the milk is bad after that date. They just can't legally sell it. Most expiration dates on packaged foods aren't required by law and are there to encourage you to throw away items and buy new ones. Best buy dates generally mean that the flavor could be reduced after the date. So will the dry milk powder, sugar and flavoring in instant pudding make you sick 5 years later, no I don't think it will. Will it taste good? I don't know, you'd have to taste it and see. 

There's nothing complicated about 5 years old...lol   The chances of some ****** that's that ancient making someone sick is rather high and since pudding is cheaper than dirt.  Why risk it?   That it won't taste good when it's that old is pretty much a no brainer.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't ever eat food prepared by anyone other than myself.  I am not even fond of going to restaurants (even the 5* ones) because we all know what goes on in their kitchens.  I have a neighbor who is so picky about everything - she even wipes her little dog's feet (a Bichon) every single time she takes her out (about 20x a day) because she doesn't want her carpet to get ruined....... Anyway, she will eat food given to her by co-workers, other neighbors, etc.....  Ugh  

Anyway, the pudding is down the drain.  Hubby tasted the Lemon and said it was "really good" but I told him to let it go and I'll get more.  As someone here said - better safe than sorry.

Thanks again.  Consider yourselves "hearted".......