Honored Contributor

Re: Need an honest answer here....

@sophiamarie wrote:

I know this is stupid and I should know better but I decided that since we have over a half gallon of milk that is going to be "bad" in a few days, I would make some pudding.  I found two boxes of "Lemon" and "Cheesecake" puddings and made them.  Now, my husband, as he was throwing the boxes in the recycle bin, tells me they say "best if used by 2011".....  Does that powder really go bad OR does it mean that it just won't taste as great if it were fresher??????

Should I throw it all away and start over again?????

I had some pudding it was lemon as well that was about a year old and it just didn't taste right :-( 

and I drove all over looking for it as well

Esteemed Contributor

B/P - 130/70

Pulse - still palpable

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Hopefully there won't be any issues with your DH.  I did read a couple of years ago that any boxed cake mix, pudding, etc. should never be eaten after the expiration date.  I wish I could recall the exact reason, but it was a very strong suggestion. I am suresomeone can find the information.  I had a couple of cake mixes that I pitched.  But I checkthe pantry twice a year for packaaged and canned goods, as well as beverages.

With cake mix the biggest risk is it not rising because the leavening is no longer good. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I think if an item is too old even if it doesn't make you sick at the time of consumption it could later down the road.How about the chemical changes that could be occuring with the product that could become carcinogenic as they alter and break down.

Super Contributor

Cake mixes can have the yeast go bad and develop spores.  So if you're allergic to mold it can be lethal.

But jello pudding mix, I think,  is basically sugar , corn starch & gelatin so not sure if the starch or gelatin can go bad.

Respected Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

Cake mixes can have the yeast go bad and develop spores.  So if you're allergic to mold it can be lethal.

But jello pudding mix, I think,  is basically sugar , corn starch & gelatin so not sure if the starch or gelatin can go bad.

What cake mix contains yeast?  Just curious, as I haven't seen a cake that has yeast in it.

Super Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

What cake mix contains yeast?  Just curious, as I haven't seen a cake that has yeast in it.

Just reread my post I should have said if a cake mix has yeast.  I don't know if a cake mix does I think they use baking powder for rising-don't quote me on that- what a difference a word can make.

Super Contributor

My point was I think only yeast might go bad and I don't believe jello pudding has yeast in it.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

B/P - 140/80

Pulse - thready

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Dates on packages are complicated. There are ones that are basically pull by dates for stores, such as on milk. It doesn't mean the milk is bad after that date. They just can't legally sell it. Most expiration dates on packaged foods aren't required by law and are there to encourage you to throw away items and buy new ones. Best buy dates generally mean that the flavor could be reduced after the date. So will the dry milk powder, sugar and flavoring in instant pudding make you sick 5 years later, no I don't think it will. Will it taste good? I don't know, you'd have to taste it and see. 

Very accurate and good information, and I agree.

I would never serve company expired food, but we have eaten plenty of it ourselves.

Some food just plain doesn't expire if stored properly (white rice and sugar are two of them), and others may perform poorly (like an expired cake mix) or taste off a little (like canned fruit) but most processed, packaged foods are totally safe to eat well (several years) beyond their expiration date. 

I think people freak out about expiration dates, and if they throw things out, and that makes them feel better about it, my only caution would be to rotate and pay attention to what they have, so as not to waste.

And sometimes it isn't worth wasting the other ingredients in making something with an expired product because if it is less than tasty, you wasted all those additional things (the milk, oil eggs etc. you added to the dish) and are out more than just throwing away the one item.