Respected Contributor

Re: Need an honest answer here....

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have on occasion used outdated items, but not 5 years; that I wouldn't consider because even if it wasn't harmful it would probably not taste as it should. One thing that surprises me is how awful drinks like Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, etc. taste after they go bad. Ewww..... I think the oldest I've used something from the cupboard is maybe a year and a half, depending on what it was.

microwave popcorn too. I have new boxes in the cupboard, but my husband found a rogue single...eww the oils in it smelled rancid...I couldn't figure out what smelled so bad. he ate it and never noticed.

Esteemed Contributor

Just cleaned out my kitchen pantry cabinets last week. Tons of old stuff from when both boys were at home. #1 bought a house 6 months ago, #2 was away at college and is moving away next month, so I had him reach up and back in the shelves. Lots to pitch- especially spices and seasonings.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup

Here is link to snopes. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp    I too had heard about cake mixes going toxic, and forgot why over the years.  I think in researching about expired cake and pancake mix today,  it is more about allergies.  They once said  yeast and other ingredients could grow dangerous mold.  But snopes says that is untrue. 

A few years ago I bought several boxes of Barefoot Contessa cake and cupcake mix I adored.  IMO her products were as close to homemade (even better) than anything I ever tried.  before she closed that end of her business I bought up way too many red velvet cake mixes!!!  I stored them in pantry in garage. and forgot about them.  When they were almost 1.5 years expired I baked one.  They came out great as far as rising, texture and looks.  But they did taste stale. Tossed the lot out.  What a shame, taught me a lesson in stocking up!  She pulled the mixes because she said they became to expensive to make and for the customer.  They were pricey, but  in a pinch they were fabulous, especially her old fashioned banana cake. Her cake mixes mainly had the flour and spices, we had to add eggs, milk, butter, cream cheese, or sour cream is why I tried baking it.  I did find out that her mixes followed the recipe in her cook books.  So when I want the old fashioned banana cake or the coconut cupcakes, I have to make them from scratch, and use her recipe.  Mixes cut a lot of corners though.

Honored Contributor

Save the pudding for that special potluck experience.

Honored Contributor

Another good habit to get into is putting the date you opened an item on it. This is great for refrigerated stuff (how long has this been in the fridge, honey?)

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Why would you have something that is expired by 5 years in your pantry?  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Why would you have something that is expired by 5 years in your pantry?  LOL

It was just one of those things where I said "I'll make this tomorrow" and tomorrow never came.  It's just two boxes and they're gone now.  As far as the refrigerator, as soon as something is opened, it's finished.  There are no leftovers there, except maybe ketchup, mayo and pickles......

Trusted Contributor

Actually, they were probably fine.  Pudding mixes essentially contain cornstarch, sugar, and flavorings -- nothing to go bad.  The dates, in many cases, are put there by manufacturers as a marketing tool rather than anything else (in most cases, there are no government requirements).

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I used to make puddings, cakes, etc., almost every day when I had a houseful of kids but they are living elsewhere now. These days, when they come to visit, they bring me cakes, cookies, chocolates, etc.....  so I really don't have anything out-dated because I check cans and boxes before I use anything.    I don't know how I missed these boxes.

According to the links Jax sent, it seems as tho the "best if used by" date really doesn't mean much, except for quality.  Someone on a message board said it could be eaten years and years later with no harmful effects.  I think the "expiration" date is the most important one but best to be safe anyway.  

Thanks again everyone.  I'll keep y'all updated on hubby's condition since he had a spoonful of the lemon pudding.  We're keeping a watchful eye on him and are taking his pulse hourly.....

@SophiaMarie

LOL! LOL!Smiley MSN Emoticon 155.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

The Bundys faced this dilemma on "Married With Children."  Peg pointed out that the label only said "best by," so IIRC they ate it.  I'd go with that.