Honored Contributor

We use a French press.  Coffee tastes its purest.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I still have and occasionally use my great grandmother's percolator, similar to the one in the photo.   At more than 70 years old it still makes the best coffee.  Similar ones are available on Amazon and other sites.

https://lovemycoffeecup.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Farberware-Classic-Stainless-Steel-Yosemite-8-Cup-Coffee-Percolator.png

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My Gevalia died a couple of weeks ago (but it was about 10 years old) .... I bought a cheapie Black and Decker from Amazon.  

Trusted Contributor

Cuisinart Brew Central 12 cup. You can adjust the temperature of the carafe. Also after you brew it will auto shut off after up to 4 hours. But if you want to keep coffe warm longer you can just flip the switch over to brew turn it on and it will turn the warmer back on to keep the coffee warm. I bought a coffee maker once where you couldn't do that an I was not happy.Not sure that makes sense.

Respected Contributor

Have a very old Cuisanart model.  Found it on ebay after the first one broke - after several years of use

!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a Good Coffee Pot

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend the Farberware stainless steel electric coffee pot.  It is strong stainless  there is a 2-6 cup and a larger one that makes up to 10 cups.  It is rapid and ,

makes a great cup of coffee.  It is one of those you fill with water, scoops grounds in the holder. Plug in and it perks away.  It is very fast.  No bells and whistles.  The strength is adjusted by the amount of coffee you put in.  It runs about 44 bucks.  I use a keirig I have had for last 8 years.  But I always keep the percolator just in case.  Great for company.

I have been using this pot since the 1970's. It is sturdy, cleanable, solid stainless and is easy. Looks nice too.  They havent changed it in all these years, it is so popular. I keep mine for emergencies and company

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I highly recommend the Farberware stainless steel electric coffee pot.  It is strong stainless  there is a 2-6 cup and a larger one that makes up to 10 cups.  It is rapid and ,

makes a great cup of coffee.  It is one of those you fill with water, scoops grounds in the holder. Plug in and it perks away.  It is very fast.  No bells and whistles.  The strength is adjusted by the amount of coffee you put in.  It runs about 44 bucks.  I use a keirig I have had for last 8 years.  But I always keep the percolator just in case.  Great for company.

I have been using this pot since the 1970's. It is sturdy, cleanable, solid stainless and is easy. Looks nice too.  They havent changed it in all these years, it is so popular. I keep mine for emergencies and company

@shoekitty 

Ya know that hole in the bottom of the percolator that the stem fits into? Have you ever taken a damp paper towel and stuck it in there and wiped it out real good?  OMG I was doing that to mine and it wouldn't stop coloring the paper towel black. I don't know what accumulated in there unless just discoloration from the coffee. Back when I used to entertain a lot I always had 2 coffee pots going, a regular & a decaf. Used the 12 cup Farberware for one but eventually tossed it because that black stuff bothered me, it was never ending trying to get that hole clean.

Esteemed Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@kivah  - if you want to stay with a percolator, I would recommend Farberware.  It's fast, a cup a minute, and hot.  I've had mine forever.  I take it with me when I travel by car (I have to drink decaf and am particular about my coffee).  For everyday, I use a Hamilton Beach drip coffee maker.

Farberware was always my choice of electric percolator when they lasted at least 5 years. During the last 3 years, I had the 4 cup and the 12 cup Farberware. Each lasted a few months. One of them, the plug didn't go straight into the percolator, I had to raise it up in order to connect it to the percolator. Defective.

Esteemed Contributor

They don't make electric percolators like they used to. There should be a class-action lawsuit against the manufacturers. Lots of complaints on-line. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a Good Coffee Pot

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@shoekitty 

Ya know that hole in the bottom of the percolator that the stem fits into? Have you ever taken a damp paper towel and stuck it in there and wiped it out real good?  OMG I was doing that to mine and it wouldn't stop coloring the paper towel black. I don't know what accumulated in there unless just discoloration from the coffee. Back when I used to entertain a lot I always had 2 coffee pots going, a regular & a decaf. Used the 12 cup Farberware for one but eventually tossed it because that black stuff bothered me, it was never ending trying to get that hole clean.

Shoekitty said

yes i do!!  Lol,  i had this thin brass brush that fit right into it and I cleaned it once a week.  Those type of coffee pots do get really dirty.  Seems to be a lot oil in coffee grounds dont you think.  I would get those oily marks on inside.  But it wasnt hard to wash.. I use my keurig now, but  I still keep the Farberware and use it once in a while.  I like the stainless issue.  It is hard to find a solid stainless product.  Most pots are aluminum, or partly.