Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@DecorDiva wrote:

@kivah  - if you want to stay with a percolator, I would recommend Farberware.  It's fast, a cup a minute, and hot.  I've had mine forever.  I take it with me when I travel by car (I have to drink decaf and am particular about my coffee).  For everyday, I use a Hamilton Beach drip coffee maker.

Farberware was always my choice of electric percolator when they lasted at least 5 years. During the last 3 years, I had the 4 cup and the 12 cup Farberware. Each lasted a few months. One of them, the plug didn't go straight into the percolator, I had to raise it up in order to connect it to the percolator. Defective.

@kivah- I think we all have to realize that Farberware, Corning, Silex, and the other older brands are no more. They are all made in China and they can't compare to the old brands that were made right here in the good old USA.

I suggest you try flea markets and yard sales, and even eBay. I bought some great pieces of Pyrex on a vacation in Pennsylvania. The flea market had so many to offer, I really had to pick and choose. I just don't have that much room for storage in my kitchen, but I love the old, original Pyrex. The new junk can never compare to the old.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a Good Coffee Pot

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I highly recommend the Farberware stainless steel electric coffee pot.  It is strong stainless  there is a 2-6 cup and a larger one that makes up to 10 cups.  It is rapid and ,

makes a great cup of coffee.  It is one of those you fill with water, scoops grounds in the holder. Plug in and it perks away.  It is very fast.  No bells and whistles.  The strength is adjusted by the amount of coffee you put in.  It runs about 44 bucks.  I use a keirig I have had for last 8 years.  But I always keep the percolator just in case.  Great for company.

I have been using this pot since the 1970's. It is sturdy, cleanable, solid stainless and is easy. Looks nice too.  They havent changed it in all these years, it is so popular. I keep mine for emergencies and company

@shoekitty 

Ya know that hole in the bottom of the percolator that the stem fits into? Have you ever taken a damp paper towel and stuck it in there and wiped it out real good?  OMG I was doing that to mine and it wouldn't stop coloring the paper towel black. I don't know what accumulated in there unless just discoloration from the coffee. Back when I used to entertain a lot I always had 2 coffee pots going, a regular & a decaf. Used the 12 cup Farberware for one but eventually tossed it because that black stuff bothered me, it was never ending trying to get that hole clean.

Shoekitty said

yes i do!!  Lol,  i had this thin brass brush that fit right into it and I cleaned it once a week.  Those type of coffee pots do get really dirty.  Seems to be a lot oil in coffee grounds dont you think.  I would get those oily marks on inside.  But it wasnt hard to wash.. I use my keurig now, but  I still keep the Farberware and use it once in a while.  I like the stainless issue.  It is hard to find a solid stainless product.  Most pots are aluminum, or partly.

The black ****** at the bottom of the percolator where the stem sits - is not due to the coffee --- this part is not made of stainless steel - it's a cheap substitute.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I went on Amazon and ordered a 5-cup Amazon Basics Coffee Maker with Glass Carafe for $19.99. I've never used a drip coffee maker before -- but I don't have any choice. I'm going thru withdrawal.

Honored Contributor

@softwareThat's my "morning" coffee pot. Have used it for about 11 years now. I doubt I'll get too many more years of service, but I know I also paid about $10 with tax even years back, so no big loss.  

In the afternoon when I want a single cuppa, I use my Keurig.  If I didn't love coffee, I'd never give it so much space in my small kitchen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@softwareThat's my "morning" coffee pot. Have used it for about 11 years now. I doubt I'll get too many more years of service, but I know I also paid about $10 with tax even years back, so no big loss.  

In the afternoon when I want a single cuppa, I use my Keurig.  If I didn't love coffee, I'd never give it so much space in my small kitchen.

My pot makes a good "1 cup" as well.

All I have to do is adjust the ingredients

I drink my coffee out of a mug.

1 mug = 2 cups.

I had a Keurig, didn't like it, I went back to my drip

I grind my own coffee fresh

Respected Contributor

@kivah 

Oh no.   I spent a couple of hours a few weeks ago researching coffee pots.   Our year old Keurig has been acting up.   I finally decided on the Presto 12 C perk.  and now I read your post.   Back to the drawing board , I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@kivah 

Oh no.   I spent a couple of hours a few weeks ago researching coffee pots.   Our year old Keurig has been acting up.   I finally decided on the Presto 12 C perk.  and now I read your post.   Back to the drawing board , I guess.

A few months ago, I bought the first Presto elec. perk from costco on-line. It lasted around 3 months and shorted out. I ordered another Presto from Costco - and it shorted out after 1-1/2 months. Returning this one on Tuesday. This perk made the best and hottest coffee. Too Bad!!!.