Honored Contributor

How long did you wait in between surgeries on each eye when you had your

cataract surgery?

I'm having one done on the 29th and next on the 5th . Husband and his sister are giving me grief thinking it's to close together.

I've read online couple of days to 2 wks. Wonder how long you waited ?

@Moroco 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

I know I'm not who you sent a notification to, but thought I would look and then let you know when DH had his cataract surgeries last spring.

First one: 4/4/2019

Second one: 4/25/2019.

HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

It was 2 weeks between mine.  Why is hubby and daughter doubting your eye physician?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: paging Moroco

[ Edited ]

my sister in law had hers done long time ago and she still thinks that's how they're doing things today. Husband thinks I won't be over the first one and will be out of focus before they do the other he's afraid I'll be walking around 'blind' and he'll have to help me probably.

Thanks for ALL answers. i'm about ready to call it off they got me up in knots.  When I made appointments at the office the gal that made the appointments didn't seem to have any trouble with it. After the first one I'll see what they say about having the 2nd eye done the next week.

My sister in law is 85 and I'm sure stuff is a lot advanced since she's had hers done probably 20 yrs or so ago. I've got more of a astigmatism thing going on then cataracts I'm 67. Having Toric lenses put in Medicare won't pay for the 'fancier' procedure I'm paying the 1600  extra out of pocket. Most people have what Medicare pays for.

Honored Contributor

They had me wait a month in between surgeries but I don’t think it’s a firm and fast rule.  I had the laser surgery and the lenses put in and it was pretty easy I could have gotten away with doing both close together. 

Honored Contributor

yeah, probably depends on how fast your operated on eye adjusts.

Husband is probably afraid having it so close together I'll be relaxing

for to long . LOL 

Honored Contributor

@moraco    hope you had yours done close together too

Honored Contributor

Hope you find this

Valued Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@moraco    hope you had yours done close together too

@SharkE I am amiss to tell you I had mine one month apart.  I choose not to have corrective lenses as insurance did not pay.  I was going with just cataract although the thought of no more contacts, readers etc sounded great.  The price for corrective lenses were high but worth it.  I have 3 various critical illnesses, thus I was not certain if the investment would be an asset or not as it would have depleted my savings.  Thus I declined corrective lenses.  The eye center had many doctors when I was referred for my surgery.  I choose one with the same name as my primary MD knowing he have India heritage (I have found in our state they are brilliant doctors).  After my post op, I had a phone call from the actual doctor (young gent of 29 years old) and he wanted to ask me if I would like my eyesight corrected as he had just gotten free lens for my eyes from a pharmaceutical rep.  No extra charge for me except the cost of cataract surgery.  Through a flood of tears, I told Dr Shaw, I would love to have corrective lens but if someone needed them more then me, please take care of another person.  Dr Shaw said he asked for  ME and these were only for me.  So yes, I waited 2 months between surgeries, but sweetie, it was the best wait of my life.   Thus after my novel I just wrote (but I love the story of a doctor having such a huge heart), I will say some do have shorter wait times as with corrective surgery.  I did like waiting the month, as it did give me time for the surgical eye to see clearly before doing the next eye.  Also to note, I had 3 meds to put in eyes and trust me U do not want to miss with these little bottles.  Dr. Shaw 2nd visit gave me enough samples of all meds. So ASK for samples if they have them sweet one!  

Honored Contributor

I'm paying 1600 out of pocket to correct the astigmatism Medicare don't cover.

God was definately looking after you that day it turned out for the best !

Hopefully, my first procedure will go good and having the next eye done the next week won't leave me too temporiarly blind. LOL