Esteemed Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@betteb wrote:

I love my 2012 Suzuki SX4 Sportback. Same thing, sit's just a bit higher than the average small car and has great visibility.

You haven't had any major issues with yours? I have a 2007 SX4 that I purchased used. I paid $10,000 for it when I bought it in 2009 & in the 6 years that I've owned it, it's had at least  $8,000 (probably more) in repairs. Thankfully I purchased the extended warranty for the car but it expired last year. This year alone I've put $1,800 into it. It needed a new catalytic converter & a new rear differential a couple of years ago, the manufacturer warranty paid for. I like the car but it's been nothing but a headache since 6 months after I purchased it. Unless it's a manufacturer warranty repair, new parts are no longer available for repairs that the car needs, used Suzuki parts are used. The Suzuki dealerships that were close to me closed a few years ago, the closest one (the only one left in this area) is close to an hour away.

***********************************************************************************

I've had it for almost 2 years without 1 single problem...nothing.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

I totally agree!  These are great cars and they have wonderful assistance.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Maybe its because I grew up around Dearborn, MI and all of my family has worked for one of the big three. But I am totally aghast that most on this bb don't drive an American made vehicle! Maybe because I rarely even know anyone that doesn't drive an American made vehicle But I know one thing, I would be committing car "adultery" if I ever did buy a foreign vehicle. Why do all of you strictly buy foreign made vechicles? Do you have something against the American made ones. I know its because how I was raised and definitely where I was raised that makes me have such strong opinions about this subject. Oh well, happy car shopping anyway.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

ID2, I understand your feelings. Back in the 70s, if someone worked in a steel mill it was considered taboo to drive a foreign car to work and one risked harassment.

However now it is a global market. Foreign car companies are here in the US and portions of US cars are manufactured outside the US.

I think originally people started going foreign because those companies offered people options not available at time from the "big three". During the period of gas rationing in the 70s, most American made cars were huge and heavy and got rather poor gas mileage.

Of the 11 vehicles I have purchased during my lifetime, 6 were from US makers. Honestly, in the earlier years, sadly I had more problems with the US produced cars relating to mechanical and quality issues.

Now things are pretty much equal.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Maybe its because I grew up around Dearborn, MI and all of my family has worked for one of the big three. But I am totally aghast that most on this bb don't drive an American made vehicle! Maybe because I rarely even know anyone that doesn't drive an American made vehicle But I know one thing, I would be committing car "adultery" if I ever did buy a foreign vehicle. Why do all of you strictly buy foreign made vechicles? Do you have something against the American made ones. I know its because how I was raised and definitely where I was raised that makes me have such strong opinions about this subject. Oh well, happy car shopping anyway.

I don't purchase American made cars because they are junk!  They will never, ever last as long as anything that Toyota makes.  I've owned several Camrys and every single one of them are gas and go cars without ANY major repairs.  I've owned a few Chevys many years ago, and they only lasted 50,000 miles.  I will never purchase anything but a Toyota.  I learned my lesson.  By the way, Americans are building Toyotas, and I'm keeping American employed!!

Valued Contributor

I have a 2004 Lincoln Towncar with 150,145 miles, never a major problem and still going strong.  I drive 50 round trip 5 days a week for work and drag my grandkids all over.   I LOVE IT>>>>

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a 2nd car

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

In 44 years of marriage we've owned only 2 foreign cars and both spent a lot of time being serviced.

All other cars were GM and only had trouble with 1.  It had a hairline crack under a vinyl top and it took a number of trips before they figured where the roof was leaking.

We purchased 2 new GM cars since last fall.  Love both of them.

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I don't purchase American made cars because they are junk!  They will never, ever last as long as anything that Toyota makes.  I've owned several Camrys and every single one of them are gas and go cars without ANY major repairs.  I've owned a few Chevys many years ago, and they only lasted 50,000 miles.  I will never purchase anything but a Toyota.  I learned my lesson.  By the way, Americans are building Toyotas, and I'm keeping American employed!!

Ditto ..... I purchased my slightly used 1995 Toyota Celica  five years ago for $3k cash and it runs like a brand new car!    Heart

I also had a Mercedes at the time, but it was hard on gas and I needed a run around car.   I have since sold the Mercedes.

Based on the performance and what other Toyota owners have told me, I'll always get this make from now on. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Did you know that many "foreign" car makers actually build their cars in America? And that many "American" car companies build their cars in foreign countries? The name of the company is no indicator of where the car is made or who has made it.

My Hyundai was manufactured in Alabama. I've toured the Toyota plant in San Antonio, but they also have factories in other states and build some of their most popular vehicles in the US because it's more efficient and cost effective. Toyota employees over 360,000 Americans right here in the US.

Honda also makes many cars in the US and has plants in Ohio, Indiana, and Alabama. 95% of the Hondas sold in the US were also assembled in the US by American workers.

So next time you buy a car, you might consider learning more about where the actual car was made instead of judging others based on the brands they drive.