Respected Contributor

How did you ladies upload your avatar?  I have been trying and when it says to upload I just get a gray screen and nothing happens.  When I try to escape it kicks me out.

Honored Contributor

Can you copy and paste the picture you want into 'My Pictures' on your computer? If so, then do the upload directly from your computer and it should work. It even gives you a window to show you how the avatar will appear on the message board.

HTH.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Are you trying to upload an avatar from a desktop/laptop or from a mobile device? I think you need to use a desktop.

To choose an Avatar:

Hover your mouse cursor over your name.

Click My Settings.

Click Avatar.

You should see this:

To upload a picture for your Avatar:

Click Upload an Avatar.

Click BROWSE to navigate to the picture on your computer.

It should look something like this:

Click SAVE to go to the next screen and reposition the Avatar box.

The shaded part of the image will not appear in the Avatar preview at the top right and will not appear in your Avatar. Use your mouse to "grab" and move the clear box with the dotted outline so that you Avatar is positioned well in the preview. 

Click SAVE AND CONTINUE to finalize your Avatar image.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Can you copy and paste the picture you want into 'My Pictures' on your computer? If so, then do the upload directly from your computer and it should work. It even gives you a window to show you how the avatar will appear on the message board.

HTH.

Thanks, I'll try again.  I did save the avatar to my computer but I can't seem to get past this gray screen for some reason.

Honored Contributor

I got the gray screen too.  It takes a while to load the image and let you save it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Help with Avatar

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue...thank you so much for these instructions!  Can you tell me how safe it is to download an image from your computer to...where?  Q's computers (which I'm sure are really, really safe!  Yeah, riiiiiight).

Note to Q IT Team: ChynnaBlue is doing your work for you. Shame on you!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ChynnaBlue...thank you so much for these instructions!  Can you tell me how safe it is to download an image from your computer to...where?  Q's computers (which I'm sure are really, really safe!  Yeah, riiiiiight).

Note to Q IT Team: ChynnaBlue is doing your work for you. Shame on you!

"Safe" is a broad term and I'm not sure what you mean by it. Only upload pictures you don't mind making public, because anyone here can download what you upload. If you take pictures will your cell phone or digital camera and haven't turned Geotagging off or don't know what Geotagging is, I wouldn't upload anything from a cell phone or personal digital camera. 

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thx for the response, ChynnaBlue!  You're right about "safe" being a broad term.  I've never heard of Geotagging, but I'm sure I wouldn't copy/paste/transfer personal photos from my cell or camera.  And probably not from photos located on my computer.  I was able (from work this morn, whereas I was not able from home last nite...difference betw Chrome at work and IE at home, maybe)...I was able to "cut/paste" an image from Bing a few minutes ago from work (EVEN THO I got a message saying the HTML was...whatever...not able to be used and had been auto removed, which is the same message I got at hm, but which did not post...go figure). 

Someone should post a topic where we can give each other detailed instructions on how to navigate this "new and exciting change" to the boards and show Q IT how to go-live properly.   A hot mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

I originally uploaded a photo for my avatar with no problem but now I want to change it.  when I click the box to change my avatar, then click on the photo I want to use and click open, it takes me back to the "browse" box and never loads.

how do I edit my avatar?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Super Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

I originally uploaded a photo for my avatar with no problem but now I want to change it.  when I click the box to change my avatar, then click on the photo I want to use and click open, it takes me back to the "browse" box and never loads.

how do I edit my avatar?

I had that same problem earlier today.  I finally just waited and waited at the browse box, and it did load.  It was just very slow.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)