Honored Contributor

Re: Need Graduation Money Gift Advice

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

I am going to ask a question and I know some will feel the need to respond in a not so friendly manner and I ask them to refrain. I am not asking it in any other manner than I just do not know if this is a normal way of doing things.

Is it common practice to invite people to a graduation party if they do not know the person graduating and have not even been introduced to them?

I realize I graduated a long time ago and things change but the only people at my graduation party were family members or individuals that I knew personally. I would not even consider asking my friends to attend if they did not know the person.

@Sheila P-Burg 

i dont know how common it is for some, but i have been invited to weddings, graduations, and parties......even attended funerals, viewings, or wakes...... where i dont necessarily know the honorees well, but i may know the parents or grandparents or siblings very well.

i had people at my wedding that i had never even met before, but since they were good friends of my parents, they were invited.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

I am going to ask a question and I know some will feel the need to respond in a not so friendly manner and I ask them to refrain. I am not asking it in any other manner than I just do not know if this is a normal way of doing things.

Is it common practice to invite people to a graduation party if they do not know the person graduating and have not even been introduced to them?

I realize I graduated a long time ago and things change but the only people at my graduation party were family members or individuals that I knew personally. I would not even consider asking my friends to attend if they did not know the person.

I was thinking that as well.  I am sorry to say I always think it is tacky to invite people who don't know the graduate to a graduation party.  

If there are two of you going, go together and get a generic VISA card for $75.  

@Sooner 

personally, i dont find it to be tacky at all. sharing a wonderful event and celebration in someones life (especially someone who you are close with) is never tacky.

no one is ever FORCED to give a gift or even go to the event if they dont want to.

i would say if the OP felt it was tacky to be invited, or to attend, or to give a gift, then the decision about a gift or attending would be quite easy to make.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  That's just the way I feel about it. To me a graduation party is for the kids, friends, maybe relatives if they are close to the graduate, and such.  Not for friends of the parents or grandparents.  I don't see the point in it.