Honored Contributor

Re: Need Graduation Money Gift Advice

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Karie2022  I have no expectations of a thank you note unless it comes from my friend!

I drilled into my kids thank you notes when they were little

and am reaping benefits as I got a TY from stepgrandaughter.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alicedee wrote:

For a young person you do not know, I would give $25.

Completely agree.

The grandmother is your friend. To the boy graduate, you are just an acquaintance. You do not have any real relationship to him. It is polite to attend and add to the celebration, and provide a nice card and $25.

You ought not to rationalize an overly generous $50 gift to someone you barely know because he did not have a "real" graduation. If he's going to community college, he won't be paying the kind of expenses a private out-of -town college might require. 

A gift of $25 is perfectly appropriate.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlYou are so kind. Given the boy's circumstances, and your friendship with the wonderful woman who has raised him, I'd give him as much as I could!

And HAND him a card with cash so his horrible mother can't get her paws on it.

Kids always like cash and gift cards might not be doable for him at this time.

One can never be too generous in a case like this. Bless you and let us know what you decide. 

Trusted Contributor

$25.00 each ........ Have you even been properly introduced to the young man?

Respected Contributor

me, I would try to give cash.  With all the possible store closings due to pandemic business closings, I would give what you can afford.  Either is generous, but would give the higher amount if possible.

I agree, hand it directly to him if the mother/boyfriend has issues.  How sad.....

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl you are actually giving a gift to this young man because he is the grandson of your friend. If you can afford too I would give $50. His grandmother will find out how much of a gift you gave, if you would not want her to know you gave $25, it's better to give $50.

Trusted Contributor

I am going to ask a question and I know some will feel the need to respond in a not so friendly manner and I ask them to refrain. I am not asking it in any other manner than I just do not know if this is a normal way of doing things.

Is it common practice to invite people to a graduation party if they do not know the person graduating and have not even been introduced to them?

I realize I graduated a long time ago and things change but the only people at my graduation party were family members or individuals that I knew personally. I would not even consider asking my friends to attend if they did not know the person.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg  I was surprised to get an invite to his party, but I think his grandmother just wants to do something special for him.  He attended a very small school with only a few in his graduating class.  

As for his gift, I am giving him a $50 bill.  I had asked my friend if she wanted to give him a gift from the both of us, but she felt that he probably would like two things to open instead of just one.  Since he does not know us, except maybe from hearing his grandmother talk about us, I do not think he cares one thing about our gifts.  My friend already got him a $25 gift card.  

Thanks for all of your replies.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

I am going to ask a question and I know some will feel the need to respond in a not so friendly manner and I ask them to refrain. I am not asking it in any other manner than I just do not know if this is a normal way of doing things.

Is it common practice to invite people to a graduation party if they do not know the person graduating and have not even been introduced to them?

I realize I graduated a long time ago and things change but the only people at my graduation party were family members or individuals that I knew personally. I would not even consider asking my friends to attend if they did not know the person.

Your post made perfect sense to me.  My party was the same as yours, and it was that way for my kids, too.  I am from a really large extended family....we never even invited cousins to "gifting" parties unless we were particularly close. 

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

I was thinking that as well.  I am sorry to say I always think it is tacky to invite people who don't know the graduate to a graduation party.  

If there are two of you going, go together and get a generic VISA card for $75.