Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Graduation Money Gift Advice

@drizzellla wrote:

Sounds sad that he had to change his choice of colleges. And up until that point, I was thinking $25 would be just fine. 

It sounds like money is a consideration in the college he will be attending. And so I am changing my thoughts to $50. 

And I also hope you get a thank you note.

PS - If you do get a gift card please get it at a store that he will frequent. I realize all high school students are not the same but I don't think my son has ever been in a Target store. But I know he would gladly use a WaWa card. Then he could get gas for his car and food/snack items.

I know this topic has been mentioned ad nauseam, but good luck on the thankyou note-I have not received a thank you note in a long time, this includes, weddings, birthdays etc.  😜

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@Karie2022  I have no expectations of a thank you note unless it comes from my friend!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Karie2022   That is so sad isn't it?  Both my sisters made their kids hand write thank you notes for every birthday gift until they got older.  Manners need to make a comeback.

As for what gift card, Amazon is always a winner.  Can't think of anyone who wouldn't use it for something. 

If I don't know if they have an Apple Phone (iTunes gets a lot of love) or if they visit Starbucks which is also a winner most of the time, it's my go to GC.  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Karie2022   That is so sad isn't it?  Both my sisters made their kids hand write thank you notes for every birthday gift until they got older.  Manners need to make a comeback.

As for what gift card, Amazon is always a winner.  Can't think of anyone who wouldn't use it for something. 

If I don't know if they have an Apple Phone (iTunes gets a lot of love) or if they visit Starbucks which is also a winner most of the time, it's my go to GC.  

I did the same with my kids...even a text or email would be fine, but to do nothing is incredibly rude.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

I'd go for $50 each if you can afford it. The kids who graduated this year from high school or college have been cheated out of ceremonies and celebrations. My granddaughter is one of them. I'd be generous to acknowledge what they lost.

Respected Contributor

I think $50 is a perfect amount.  

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

My friend and I have both been invited to a graduation party next Saturday.  The young man who is graduating has been raised by his grandmother, who is a personal friend of ours.  Other than pictures that his grandmother posts on FB, we have only seen this young man one time, and it was just the back of his head as he was playing video games.  By all accounts, he is a very nice young man, who works and is involved in just about everything in his small school.

We have decided to get gift cards for him, but the question is the amount.  We first thought $25 each, but it seems to be not enough given the circumstances of no grad ceremony.  He is going to college in the fall, but he decided to go to community college instead of the one that was planned.  

My thought now is to up the amount to $50 each, just because of our friendship with his grandmother.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

High school graduation and going on to college are very significant milestones. Since he is involved in a variety of activities, there are many things related to participating in them so money will come in very handy. I would give him fifty dollars if you're comfortable with that amount. Whether or not you really know him, I think he will appreciate any amount. You mentioned that his grandmother raised him. She'll be happy for him and pleased that you are attending the celebration and giving him something (cash) which will be very useful.

Honored Contributor

$50 if you are very close to the grandmother and want to celebrate.

i am sure she is very proud.

there is nothing wrong with the $25 though if funds are tight.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl  If $50 is affordable for you, give that. 

eta...I don't know what the "circumstances of no graduation ceremony" has to do with the amount of gift.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Thanks for your replies.  I do believe that the gift is more about our friendship with his grandmother.

@jackthebear  I thought about cash, but I am always concerned that it will disappear.  I am sure that his mother and her boyfriend will be there, and they have issues, i.e.money disappearing.

ah hah,  maybe amazon card then ?  

that you could just email to him