Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Advice On Applying For Aid In Attendance For Parent

[ Edited ]

My 91 year old aunt just got her first check from them. It took two years of fighting and documenting everything to get the money. Her representative did drop the ball so I blame him because he did not follow up in a timely manner. Be prepared for a mountain of paperwork and doctor forms. The VA is on VA time. They do not rush and have excuses for everything. Last year one worker said her case was in the funding stage and two weeks later the VA said they lost her paperwork and had to start over. If you are lucky you might get someone at the VA who actually knows something. My aunt finally got an intelligent person who would keep her up to date but if you get bounced around to four different people you will get four different answers. As to if you need someone to fill out paperwork for you I would say yes. Several years ago I tried to get money for my mom by filling out the paperwork myself and got nothing but declines. (This was before I knew there were people who did this sort of thing). Every I had to be dotted and T crossed perfectly before they would move the case forward. It was questions on top of questions on top of questions. I tried three times. I got the last denial and just gave up.  Nothing I could do was enough for the VA. When my aunt got a representative he knew his way around the system and it did help as far as putting thing in the proper format and language the VA would accept. 

Honored Contributor

What qualifies a person for this benefit is pretty cut & dry so either you qualify or you don't. Just fill out the forms and provide the necessary documentation. 

When my Dad was placed in a nursing home the social worker approached me and told me he qualified for assistance from the VA and she did the application for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Another word of advice. When you file the application no matter if it's you or someone else make copies and keep track of everything. All communication, phone calls with dates and names. I mean everything. And most of all be proactive. Keep riding their b***s. The saying goes. Deny, deny die. They are hoping you die befor they have to pay. 

Respected Contributor

Wow...do I agree with @Meowingkitty.  My mom went in assisted living last year, and the admin gave me a card for a person in our local Veteran's Commission office. (Dad was a veteran.)  I contacted her, and a minimum of four meetings later...we had the initial paperwork done.  I have two college degrees, and there is no way I could have filled out the paperwork myself.  Without knowledge of military abbreviations and how to word things, it would have been a nightmare.  As it is...it still was!  I'll spare you the details, but because of Dad's previous marriage, and the fact that with Mom's dementia--she couldn't remember where some of Dad's important papers were (I about tore the house down looking for them), it was a very stressful, time-consuming process.

After the initial "approval," then we had to meet with a field agent at Mom's assisted living, so that he could make sure everything was on the up and up.  He discovered that the VC officer had left out some of Mom's income resulting in more and more paperwork that had to be completed and submitted!  He knew what he was doing, thank goodness, and promptly answered any question I had later.  He was so good to let me email him completed forms to make sure I had filled them out correctly before submitting them and then offered suggestions on how to word things better.

After all that was submitted, then someone from another state (not sure where) called with questions.  I wasn't even sure I was telling him the correct info, because he used military terminology.  It turned out that they initially paid Mom "too much," so then subsequent payments were reduced, and a couple were reduced quite a bit to make up for the extra they paid her.

After a final benefit amount is determined, you have to have a separate checking account created...titled a certain way...for the check deposits.  The written instructions on how to title it were vague, at best, and I ended up calling the field agent from the bank with questions, when my bank was clueless.  I understand that the process is designed to minimize fraud, but the process is awful!  Thank goodness I was retired and had time to deal with it.  I don't know how an elderly person without a "go-fer" to do all the meetings, send all the faxes, understand what needs to be done and how...could possibly tackle the process.  

I honestly believe that they make it difficult so that a person will throw his/her hands up and say enough.  I am at that point now, as this nightmare has been going on for a year...and I've had help with it!  You can bet your bottom dollar that I keep copies of everything to prove that I am spending the funds on Mom's assisted living care.  When I get something in the mail from the Veteran's Administration, I am almost sick, because I know I won't be able to understand what they're wanting.  I got one a couple of weeks ago saying that Mom's benefit "might" be reduced again without proof from her doctor...blah, blah, blah...that she needs to be in assisted living!  If that's the case, I will receive another letter telling me what to do.  Yeah, right...as if you can understand any of their legalese!  What gets me about this, is that we already sent in the doctor verification when we first started this process a year ago!

Our poor veterans!!!  They deserve so much better than this horrific process to get what they rightly deserve!!!!

It is a true nightmare, and I wish you the best of luck.  Don't even try to do it yourself.  Find your local Veteran's Commission, make an appointment, and let them help you with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Tgbtg is correct. The VA dawdles so much and conveniently "loses" paperwork so often it's ridiculous. And because of their dawdling they claim they will need new documents from the Doctor (at a cost of course) stating what was stated previously. It wasn't until we got our senator, John McCain who's a big deal with the vets involved that we finally got closure on this case. If he and another senator hadn't helped we would still be waiting and fighting. Don't go it alone. It will just frustrate you. 

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your kind words Annabellethecat. I read here most every day. I don't post often because I either agree with the majority, or don't want to be involved in the fray. I've learned many things on these boards, so I wanted to share something that I had learned about the VA, and getting benefits from my mother.

To the original OP (I rarely post so I'm not exactly sure how to highlight your name) My experience with the VA was time consuming. Everything went well. I did have to take care of moving some of my mom's money around but the veteran/advisor from the VA who assisted me was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I didn't have any of the hassles that some of the other posters mentioned. Also my mom was still living in her own co-op when we originally applied for these benefits. She has since moved into an assisted living, but her benefits were not affected by that. I got great financial advice from the vet/advisor at the VA office. Good luck as you follow up through this process.
Honored Contributor

Is this aid for veterans only or the spouses of vets also?  TIA!

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It is for the spouses of vets, too.   There are income guidelines, but our attorney helped us move Mom's money around so that she would be able to qualify for the assistance...which she rightly deserves. Her benefit pays for a little less than a third of her assisted living facility, and that is why I persevered in getting it for her. Like @Meowingkitty, I blame a lot of my frustration on the initial Veteran's Commission officer who didn't report some of Mom's income causing more paperwork, delays, and stress. Like anything, it is all in who you get.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It is for the spouses of vets, too.   There are income guidelines, but our attorney helped us move Mom's money around so that she would be able to qualify for the assistance...which she rightly deserves. Her benefit pays for a little less than a third of her assisted living facility, and that is why I persevered in getting it for her. Like @Meowingkitty, I blame a lot of my frustration on the initial Veteran's Commission officer who didn't report some of Mom's income causing more paperwork, delays, and stress. Like anything, it is all in who you get.

Our original representative helped with the initial paperwork and stuff but his project manager had horrible followup. It wasn't until we called the VA after not hearing anything for a couple of months did we find the claim was cancelled. Not by us. I guess they just figure they will cancel it hoping you won't notice and then they don't have to pay because the time deadline will have passed and you will start all over futher delaying it yet again. When was our rep going to tell us? Seems the VA wanted information that had already been given to them 3 other times but it was almost passed the deadline but we made it. In a period of two years the VA told us they lost the paperwork and please resubmit it, then last year it was in the funding stage but then they claimed they changed computer systems and "lost it", again please resubmit, then the third time they cancelled it for no reason and again, please resubmit.   It wasn't until we threatened the representative with going to our state senators and take it to the TV channels that he finally got it together. We did get John McCain and another state senator involved and right after that we got answers and it was approved pretty timely.