Honored Contributor

Got a letter with my address but it's addressed to

someone in Yokahama, Japan. Strange name too.  The only thing that is accurate is the house number.  Street name is not mine. Nor is the odd zip code.  Only 2 of the numbers are mine. Just today.  It's back in the mailbox with the flag up.  Somehow I was sure the post office would have noticed this is a city in the U.S. not Japan.  Perhaps the post office will explain. 

Anyone else get strangely adressed mail?

Respected Contributor

Re: Got a letter with my address but it's addressed to

Whoa, that's really weird.  I get my neighbor's mail all the time, and I just walk it over.  I don't think I'd be walking anything over to Japan, though!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

It has my street number, but the street name is Japanese sounding.  So is the name on the envelope.  It's from someone else in another city in Japan.  There are Japanese address on the side, but the address itself is in English.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

someone in Yokahama, Japan. Strange name too.  The only thing that is accurate is the house number.  Street name is not mine. Nor is the odd zip code.  Only 2 of the numbers are mine. Just today.  It's back in the mailbox with the flag up.  Somehow I was sure the post office would have noticed this is a city in the U.S. not Japan.  Perhaps the post office will explain. 

Anyone else get strangely adressed mail?

This time of year things tend to stick together.  Would guess it some how attached itself to something else being delivered to your box.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

It has my street number, but the street name is Japanese sounding.  So is the name on the envelope.  It's from someone else in another city in Japan.  There are Japanese address on the side, but the address itself is in English.

So, then it was mailed from Japan to Japan, but somehow made the trip across the ocean to you!  I sure hope the recipient wasn't in need of that mail in a hurry!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Sounds like your carrier didn't know what to do with it so he stuck it in your mailbox. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not quite that strange but about 10 years ago, an elderly relative on my dad's side, sent me a letter.  I had not corresponded with her in decades, she was about 90something.  She sent a letter to me with just my first name,  no street number and she mangled the spelling of the street.  She got the town right, no state and mangled the zip code.  That letter arrived in my mailbox!   It took a while but not as long as you might think.  It arrived about a month after she had mailed it.  I had new found appreciation for the Usps after that. 

Honored Contributor

I just went out there to double check the return address.  It's really from a Japanese name in a city in California.  So it was addressed from the U.S. to a person in Japan.  How it got to my city instead of Yokohoma...well I don't know.  Perhaps as someone said, it got stuck to the back of my mail.

Honored Contributor

Not as often as it had been happening but we get mail addressed to some person that we do not know with our addess on it.

Our regular carrier knows not to deliver it, the subs don't and I'm tired of telling them, leaving it in the box for them to take back, leaving a note taped to the box telling them not to leave it.

I don't care anymore, after going through this for the past 8 months, I throw it out.....

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I just went out there to double check the return address.  It's really from a Japanese name in a city in California.  So it was addressed from the U.S. to a person in Japan.  How it got to my city instead of Yokohoma...well I don't know.  Perhaps as someone said, it got stuck to the back of my mail.

Do you live in Oklahoma???   Yokohoma/Oklahoma?   Smiley Wink

A couple of months ago we got a package from Macy's delivered to my husband at our current address.   He hadn't ordered anything from Macy's then or ever so we opened it.   It was two fairly expensive Michael Kors watches.  The packing slip showed his name with a Dallas address(we used to live in Dallas, 21 years ago) as the purchaser and his name with a FLorida address as a billing address. We live in PA.  How on earth it arrived at our door we never figured out.  I took it to our local Macy's and let them deal with it.