Honored Contributor

We’ve been in the habit, for years, of watching the evening news while eating dinner. No more.

The decision was made that most news is bad, upsetting and not great for digestion. 

Last night, I put on some relaxing music...seemed weird with just our voices at the table, but something we’ll get used to in time.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus - I stopped watching all news about 2 years ago.  The only time I see it is if I happen to be walking by the television when my husband has it on.

Honored Contributor

Two years ago I took it a bit further and stopped the news coverage in my life from Friday afternoon until Monday morning.  No news in print or online.  I may get a news report on my car radio while running errands and such but not too much.  Sometimes come Monday morning when I turn on my computer at work I am surprised and horrified by all the chaos and tragedy but at least my week-end was calm and peaceful before another week in this crazy world.  Good for you @Shanus

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I understand your thinking but it's going to be a tough habit to change.  Believe me.  One can't or shouldn't talk while chewing - so that creates a lot of 'dead air'.  And if one person is a loud 'chewer' ......that will drive you Bon-ko.  Let us know how it works out. 

Calm and quiet is best for our digestive system -

Honored Contributor

Ok...  Seems like a good idea.  We never watched tv at the dinner table, I can't quite relate to that.  Dinner, even as far back as when I was a kid was for eating and talking and sharing our day with the family.  

Honored Contributor

My son also requested keeping the news channels OFF while the granddaughters are staying over. Understand all too well....especially after Wednesday’s carnage.

Honored Contributor

This is the honest truth. DH and I stopped watching the news a couple years ago. I get my news from the forums, friends, weather channel, email updates. Could attribute to feeling depressed more these days than usual. As I look forward to my trip in the fall , I’m unable to get those images from news coverage out of my mind. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

Ok...  Seems like a good idea.  We never watched tv at the dinner table, I can't quite relate to that.  Dinner, even as far back as when I was a kid was for eating and talking and sharing our day with the family.  

I can relate. My family of six art dinner together each evening. There was one black and white tv 📺 in the den which was turned off during dinner. We prayed before our meals and talked to each other. Boy have times changed. 

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincesswrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

I can relate. My family of six art dinner together each evening. There was one black and white tv 📺 in the den which was turned off during dinner. We prayed before our meals and talked to each other. Boy have times changed. 

@OKPrincess  Same here. Growing up, we all had dinner around the big kitchen table, relatives often joined in, too. Lots of conversation & there was no tv in there.

Flash forward to open floor plans & our kitchen/sunroom are 1 big room w/ a tv. The kids had flown the coup when we built this house, so never exposed to the tv during dinner....

Esteemed Contributor

For the most part nowadays. there is little news and much bias.  I like to be somewhat informed so will listen and filter out the network's biases or just switch to another.  I only listen to the local networks to see what's happening in the area and to get the weather, which has a 50-50 chance of being accurate.

Just wish they'd state the facts and give the viewer enough credit to figure out things for themselves.  Gone are the days of Chet and David and their genre.  And, it really irks me when they create a horrible event into a circus in an attempt to get ratiings.