Honored Contributor

@Oostendewrote:

I understand your position perfectly, Shanus.  

I read the news first thing in the morning.  Written material is generally more in depth than a television program of limited duration.  Besides, there is a larger swath of information available if you read from multiple sources with multiple points of view (or bias).

Like you and your husband, I prefer to take my meals in peace.  An actual conversation with your dining companion is far more rewarding than any flickering electonic screen.

@Most definitely @Oostend.

Respected Contributor

I stopped watching the news a while back. Anything the media considers important will be a headline or side rail on my tablet. Anything else I want to know, I research myself.  I also get automatic news notifications on my phone, so I am never completely out of the loop.

I am especially uninterested in “talking head” news analysts. It seems to me, all talk and no results.

And the weather folks ,,,  Grrr

Honored Contributor

I agree. It's all just too much, to the point where I feel that my mood and quality of life are better if l don't follow everything that's going on in the world. I don't like being uninformed, but sometimes it's better than the alternative, IMO. Even the drug commercials are depressing.

I watch old sitcoms when l want an escape from reality, or listen to upbeat rock music.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NO MORE NEWS

[ Edited ]

I listen for the weather how the traffic is. I had a niece that was murdered over a decade ago so I do not listen to the news or read the paper since then.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Last year, a good friend of ours was murdered and there was a lot of news coverage. It was the beginning of a very difficult time for us, illness and hospitalization.

When I was in the hospital I kept CNN on during the nights I couldn't sleep.  It became like a drone, sometimes staff popped in to see what the news was and to visit with me.  I figure the news is a real part of our lives, DH often comments on news to me.

Honored Contributor

@ Montanawrote:

I stopped watching the news a while back. Anything the media considers important will be a headline or side rail on my tablet. Anything else I want to know, I research myself.  I also get automatic news notifications on my phone, so I am never completely out of the loop.

I am especially uninterested in “talking head” news analysts. It seems to me, all talk and no results.

And the weather folks ,,,  Grrr

ITA in exactly your words, @ Montana. That’s my POV as well.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all