Honored Contributor

For the families that do choose to watch at least all eyes are on the same program instead of on however many different phones or contraptions that might be owned by all.  I saw an article recently that said restaurants are now having more people looking at their phones while eating than conversing with their lunch/dinner partner. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

Ok...  Seems like a good idea.  We never watched tv at the dinner table, I can't quite relate to that.  Dinner, even as far back as when I was a kid was for eating and talking and sharing our day with the family.  

I can relate. My family of six art dinner together each evening. There was one black and white tv 📺 in the den which was turned off during dinner. We prayed before our meals and talked to each other. Boy have times changed. 

@OKPrincess  Same here. Growing up, we all had dinner around the big kitchen table, relatives often joined in, too. Lots of conversation & there was no tv in there.

Flash forward to open floor plans & our kitchen/sunroom are 1 big room w/ a tv. The kids had flown the coup when we built this house, so never exposed to the tv during dinner....

I even watched the moon landing on black and white TV. Color TVs we’re out I’m sure but I guess we couldn’t afford one. At times like these I miss my parents even more and their protectiveness.

Honored Contributor

Sure, there’s news which is difficult to hear but boy...

there’s some beautiful, good news out there, as well!

LOTS of things which are uplifting & makes me smile 😀💛

TV/radio/social media....Just depends how you look at it:

Half Empty or Half Full.

Honored Contributor

For those that have kids,i see nothing wrong with eating dinner ,with out any tv on at all. For myself ,i am  interested in what is happening ,but do find i sometimes have to turn it off.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I remember my Mom and Dad turning off the news at dinner time because the news people were covering Viet Nam by showing the young men dead on the ground there or being hauled off with horrific injuries.  I stll won't watch the news during dunner and often at other times too.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Used to enjoy watching Larry King do interviews during our late evening dinners.  Gave that up.  I no longer watch evening and late night news programs...too upsetting and disturbing.  Get caught up in the AM when I read the paper online.

DH has it on throughout the day: financial, political, national, local.  

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012wrote:

For the families that do choose to watch at least all eyes are on the same program instead of on however many different phones or contraptions that might be owned by all.  I saw an article recently that said restaurants are now having more people looking at their phones while eating than conversing with their lunch/dinner partner. 

I can vouch for that !  We were at a steak place and young couple came in , waitress showed up "take your drink order", they muttered something, picked up phones and off to the races ! I never saw them exchange a verbal word to each other up to the time we left the place

I guess they ordered food LOL   Isn't that sad? I mean  , really ?

How rude. Nobody is disrespecting me like that !   Only, if your a Dr. or lawyer waiting on news from the jury LOL

Honored Contributor

The news isn't very often happy but I still watch to stay informed.I just wish that only the facts were reported and no mini series.

Honored Contributor

Re: NO MORE NEWS

[ Edited ]

I tend to fix dinner while the news is on. I might pop in and out b/t the kitchen & living room but it seems I miss the tail end when they show a good or great thing that happened.

Anyway, we watched Jeopardy while we enjoy dinner. We answer questions and sometimes we learn a new things.

Honored Contributor

@SharkEwrote:

@beckyb1012wrote:

I can vouch for that !  We were at a steak place and young couple came in , waitress showed up "take your drink order", they muttered something, picked up phones and off to the races ! I never saw them exchange a verbal word to each other up to the time we left the place

I guess they ordered food LOL   Isn't that sad? I mean  , really ?

How rude. Nobody is disrespecting me like that !   Only, if your a Dr. or lawyer waiting on news from the jury LOL

It makes me long for the days when you would sometimes (and yes there were times I was one of them) the Long Time Married Couple did not speak all through their meal.  Just ate since they had told all the stories before.  I think they did and "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode about this @SharkE

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."