Honored Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@debfau wrote:

@elated wrote:

I think the extra $600 for unemployment goes through the end of July. This is not a forever pay day. Also, I would think it the employee refuses to come back to work the employer can notify the state and let them know. If they refuse to go back, they should not reap the benefits. I knew this extra money would cause a problem. How they came to a figure of $600 is unbelievable. 

I hope everything works out for you. It has to be hard with everything happening. Just don't give up.

But employers have to remember that some of these employees now have kids at home and if they go back to work what are they going to do with their kids? Most schools are not going to be re-opening before new school year and most daycares are closed except for those taking first responder kids.

Then one assumes those impacted in this way need to work to procure childcare in some fashion. Given the hits they've already taken, businesses can't be held hostage by individual employee's childcare situations. Once given the go-ahead to open, they're going to open, just as they should. One would also note schools would be ending their academic years soon anyway. There should be no sanctioning of extending unemployment to those who refuse to go back to work, regardless of their reasons. 

Some child care providers are not working during the pandemic.  If you relied on a small in home based child care provider they may not be accepting children at this time.  I am still amazed by the fact that many are more worried about someone getting a few hundred dollars more than the wealthy reaping in billions.  

Personally, I'm not worried about 'someone getting a few hundred dollars more'... My point is and has been that when a workplace reopens it seems reasonable to expect employees to show up... It also doesn't, to me, seem reasonable for someone to expect to remain on unemployment once their workplace is open, regardless of the reason... If someone elects not to return to work, unless taking  approved leave, then that becomes solely their choice and the rest of us shouldn't be paying for it via an entitlement program... RIght or wrong, the fact the wealthy are reaping in billions is not the issue under discussion. As for the difficulty of arranging childcare, certainly it can be a conundrum. What one might have relied upon in the past might well have to change, just as it's had to change with regard to almost every other aspect of life from grocery shopping, to availability issues for obtaining necessities of daily living, and on and on... Sadly, by it's very definition, work has never been touted as an elective, a 'convenience', or as a 'come if you want to' kind of thing... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@debfau   I went to the site and followed the prompts, they wanted our banking numbers which is fine but also wanted  a dollar figure that is listed on our tax forms.  When my husband goes into the office tomorrow he will bring home our tax packet so I can in put the correct dollar value they asked for.

Were you able to finally get your info into the IRS site - they announced today you have until Noon Wed, May 13th to update your info if you want your check via direct deposit?

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@debfau   It is not IRS Refund that I have not recived...we don't get refunds...I am talking about the stimulus check the government sent out due to the covid outbreak.

Sorry but the post about the IRS Refund was for @bjabuckeye.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

It's ok to vent.

Real people have real problems.

My vent is not individuals who are getting unemployment benefits.

But rather big businesses who got the bulk of the emergency funds. And now farmers are getting more money. They got money because of the tariffs and now because meat packing plants are shutting down and no demand (or way to get to the needy) for excess produce. Well, there are dentist, hairstylist, opticians, movies, florists, housekeepers, photographers and cafes that also have no demands for their businesses.

And lets give to Airlines who have gouged passengers for decades with fees and add ons. Now they want money with with no requirements. 

Many took money and have given it back such as Harvard University, WalMart, LA Lakers, PotBelly.

I think the greed is with big business and not individuals.

Many small businesses could not even get through the system to get any funds. And the process for unemployment claims was jammed. What a mess.

I could not agree more.  People always complaining when the little guy gets something but big business its ok.