Esteemed Contributor

My Bank Rocks: Superior Assistance in a Scam Case

Due to 3 total knee surgical errors and resultant moderate to severe pain, I've had a horrible time sleeping since May of 2014.  Saw an online add for an herbel "Sleep Aid" called "Avinol PM," Extra Strength.  This product purportedly "Helps you fall asleep, stay asleep, and wake up refreshed."  Distributed and/or made by Advanced Nutraceuticals, Dania Beach, FL, not the one in Singapore.  I paid $4.95, plus shipping and handling for a pack of 30 tablets in early June, using my bank credit card.  The purchase was for this pack of 30 tablets only.

But, yes, you guessed it.  I received another box in early July, late July and now this month, August.  Have been trying to get ahold of the Customer Service at Advanced Nutraceuticals, only to conclude that that phone # is a fake and the entire deal is a scam, just to obtain credit card #s to keep sending and billing at a whopping $84.00 plus shipping and handling per box!

I found a consumer group where hundreds have made complaints such as mine against this company, so have registered a complaint and filed for a refund.

In the meantime, we had to have something notarized today at our Chase bank, so decided to bring the sleep aid subject up (brought the last pkg along with info).  Our CS person called Chase back east and opened a "Dispute" file.  Though one would think of fraud, it could not be qualified as such, because I paid for the first box, so rather left myself "open."  However!  Chase started the ball rolling on a complete refund for me, which will result in a credit to our account within 7-10 working days and have tagged our account to protect it against any future attempts by the company to charge any amount of $$$ for a sleep aid or other products.

I did not expect this and am so pleased that Chase has such a program.  It's quite possible/probable that most banks do as well.  I'm just so grateful that Chase has this available for their clients.

Just a heads-up from this first-time "got scammed" to watch out for deals like this, including package receipts containing very little information.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Bank Rocks: Superior Assistance in a Scam Case

Something similar happened to me. I foolishly sent for a skincare sample for 4.95. I'm usually more careful and I don't order from those Facebook ads, but this time I did. When  I got my CC statement, not only was  I charged for the sample, but a separate charge of 89.95 for something I didn't sign up for or receive. Long story short, I called my CC company, they cancelled my card so at least they couldn't charge me for anything else. I disputed the charge and didn't have to pay. I then called the company to complain because I was so angry, and the woman was nasty, saying it wasn't their fault I didn't understand . I told her that .I could read. A week later I got an email from them saying they were cancelling the charge. Lesson learned, I will only order from companies that I'm familiar with. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

This is exactly why I don’t order from those “too good too be true” ads. It’s in the small print that you are authorizing the company to do such and such and charge you such and such when they want.  It’s crazy and almost impossible to cancel. Learned my lesson long ago just don’t sign up for anything.

This practice should be illegal. I mean, who can read the fine print on TV in 2 seconds?

Glad the bank helped. I agree that bank is awesome.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, familiar story.  I ordered a bottle of lotion to reduce pain, also paying the $4.95 shipping and handling.  About a month later another delivery was made and they deducted $89.95 from my account at the B ofA.  I called the company and told them I did not order the product and told them to refund my money.  All I got was some nasty woman telling me the small print said I would get another order, blah, blah, blah.  I told her to remove my name from their list.

I then called my bank, told them what happened, they refunded the 89.95.  A month went by and they did it again and the bank again refunded my money, they had no right to charge me since I had canceled the account.  Yes, it is sad that we have to be so careful with these offers that sound too good to be true. Woman Frustrated

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

There a ton of advertisements on TV for products at a very low price, deals that sound like such a fabulous bargain but if you look very closely somewhere in small print you'll see that once you order you are agreeing to AUTO DELIVERY.  I have on occasion when these ads are on pressed the PAUSE button on my remote which gives you a chance to find and read that fine print. The Cindy Crawford skin care line is an example. Another one is that Keranique hair product for those who have thinning hair and want it back.  I could be wrong but I think there was one for IT products than ran quite often but I don't recall seeing it lately. Guthy Renker is known for this type of trapping you in and then giving you a hard time getting out of it.

Honored Contributor

If it were me I would close out that credit card and open a new one.  No telling how many scammers they passed your credit card number to.  

Happy that your bank helped you out.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@sfnative

Glad they got it all straightened out for you. 

I must admit your 3 knee surgeries was what drew me to your post. My Dad has had 3 total knee replacements. Long story short he never recovered from 1st one- kept insisting something was wrong. Surgeon told him it was all in his head. He suffered for over a year. Finally went to different doctor & was told his kneecap was sideways. Apparently they did a total knee replacement but left his kneecap? Anyhow new doctor ended up doing his other knee first & then redid 1st one to replace kneecap. Fast forward several years & he still can’t walk & is in terrible pain. No one can find the source of his pain & second doctor insists the new knees are fine. 

Would be interested in hearing more about your surgical errrors- if you feel like sharing. Always looking for anything that might help my Dad. He’ll be 82 this month so I doubt he’ll ever recover. The only time he’s not in pain is when he’s laying down so that’s what he does most of the day. My Mom tries to get him up & about but he is just in too much pain. 

Respected Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

... Fast forward several years & he still can’t walk & is in terrible pain. No one can find the source of his pain & second doctor insists the new knees are fine ...

@Tribesters, I’m so sorry your Dad is suffering. Has he been to a pain management facility?

Trusted Contributor

@ Montana

Yes- he’s had pain shots a few times now. They don’t seem to help much. 

Honored Contributor

It seems like, back in the day, you could order products from infomercials, or other types of ads, or just regular tv ads, and not get burned.

Now, you couldn't pay me to order from any of those sources, including of course an online ad, because they lie to you in every way.

One of the things I've seen the most is the 'auto delivery' that you didn't know you signed up for.  If that weren't enough, I've heard just as many stories from people who tried to get out of it and it was virtually impossible.

There is the BOGOF deal they do and the worst part of it is that, although the second one is 'free', there is a huge shipping charge attached to it.

I guess the only solution, in such cases, is to kill your credit card and replace it with another (new # of course).