Honored Contributor

Re: Murder on Rust Movie Set

Always good to get a photo op out of it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

[Full Disclosure:  I am not a hater of Alec Baldwin.  Although I do not tend to "feel" his personality type, I have never thought him egregiously horrible as a person except when he made that cruel comment to his daughter.  With his new family, my thoughts were that he must have had a sea change when it came to parenting and he was seeking some sort of redemption.  At least that's what I'd hoped.]

After his initial show of horror, Alec should have kept a much lower profile out of respect for the Hutchins family.  That is where my thoughts went after I began to see him joyfully going to the Hamptons and other geographic locales with his family.  He has a slew of young children, and it would be unwise to look morose around them much of the time, I agree.  However, some moments struck me as tone deaf for someone in his position.  Maybe he didn't know how to act properly.  Would any of us in such a dreadful situation?

I'm not in his shoes, and so it is unfair that I have such criticisms.  Still, from a jaded and cynical point of view, shouldn't he have had his PR people guide him better on his public persona during this time of an accidental death of a young mother, a death to which he contributed one way or another, even without malice or intention?   

Probably the paparazzi bear some responsibility for my opinion of Alec Baldwin during this period that, to me, needed a less prominent and seemingly carefree public presence.  If it weren't for their nosy intrusions into his family life, we rag readers would not have seen the many intimate and happy moments he shared with his family while the Hutchins family mourned their mother/wife.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness that being shallow and arrogant and unsorry about the results of our avoidable mistakes aren't prosecutable crimes. Millions of us would be whisked off the streets.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

There will be criminal charges and then a civil action of a wrongful death suit.  Many will be involved and Alec will be one of them in both cases.  I would not be surprised if his criminal charge is involuntary manslaughter.  No jail time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

The first page of the civil complaint filed by Halyna's husband.

There are a large number of named defendants, Alec being the first.

complaint-hutchins-wrongful-death-p1-normal.gif

Respected Contributor

How do I put this politely?  Certain people are brought to justice right quick after making a fatal error with a firearm.  Lives are on the line, behavior is unpredictable and situations are stressful and intense.  Mistakes are made and good people are severely punished for their error.  This was a movie set - everything scripted and rehearsed and supposedly professionals were in charge and look what happened?  Yet, no punishment for the man who pulled the trigger.  None - at all.

Yet Alec Baldwin feels no responsibility for the death of this woman.  He certainly had a hand in her murder (no pun intended) and should be reprimanded in some manner.  His behavior after the death was so thoughtless.  Vacationing in the Hamptoms with his wife and family, giving interviews and positioning himself to be completely blameless for her death.  Like another poster mentioned, he should have laid low and showed some sorrow and remorse and kept quiet, but he chose to open his mouth and bluster on and blame everyone else, even the deceased to some extent. 

How he continues working is a mystery.  Is he all that?  Certainly he should be fined to the max and I hope the widower succeeds in his civil case against him.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Fox is reporting that Baldwin and Hutchins have settled the Wrongful Death suit.  Filming of the movie is to start up again in Jan.2023.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

I don't understand why real weapons are used on tv and movie sets.  If I was an insurer, I would demand only prop weapons be used.  

@RollTide2008 

Your post makes sense to me. They can make real guns that fire live bullets on a 3D Printer. With today's technology there is probably a way to exactly replicate any hand gun ever made. It can be made so it only fires blanks, just like those used to start some competitions. 

I have always liked Western movies, and there is no way I can tell by looking at those handguns(revolvers or a semi-auto) if it is real or a replica. Make the noise and fake a little fire and smoke, fine with me.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Fox is reporting that Baldwin and Hutchins have settled the Wrongful Death suit.  Filming of the movie is to start up again in Jan.2023.  

@beckyb1012 

I just saw that on the news. It went on to say that they plan on finishing the movie, on the same set. It said the Widower is going to be involved in, I think as a Director! 

Hard for me to believe that he would want to be anywhere around that movie set. I do not know the authenticity of the newscast.

I do know that the criminal investigation is still going on in New Mexico, so??  Take this for what it's worth, I am just commenting on what I heard.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn He is going to be an Executive Producer.  Based on his comments, iit seems that he wants the movie completed in his wife's honor and is doing what's financially best for his son at this point.