Honored Contributor

Re: Murder on Rust Movie Set

I don't think Baldwin was involved with shooting lizards nor knew about it. What I read was that they were staff, not actors. Has it been updated since the initial report?

Esteemed Contributor

Civil lawsuit filed by the family of the deceased:

• Actor Alec Baldwin is among several defendants named in a wrongful death suit, following the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of "Rust" in October.

• Matthew Hutchins filed a lawsuit in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on behalf of himself and his son Andros Hutchins, alleging that Baldwin recklessly shot and killed his wife.

• The lawsuit also claims that the "Rust" production failed to perform industry standard safety checks or follow basic gun safety rules, resulting in her death.
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Civil lawsuit filed by the family of the deceased:

• Actor Alec Baldwin is among several defendants named in a wrongful death suit, following the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of "Rust" in October.

• Matthew Hutchins filed a lawsuit in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on behalf of himself and his son Andros Hutchins, alleging that Baldwin recklessly shot and killed his wife.

• The lawsuit also claims that the "Rust" production failed to perform industry standard safety checks or follow basic gun safety rules, resulting in her death.

@Johnnyeager  Are these your own thoughts or are you going to attribute them to the original source?

Regular Contributor

The loss of s life is very sad . Lets face it this is now a money issue . They are going after those that have money . I do not think that Baldwin shot the cymnogropher on purpose , Some one put in the real amo in  the gun  and now someone has to pay . Why would Baldwin want to go thru an accusation of killing some one ?

God Bless her family . God bless the Baldwin family .

Honored Contributor

The armor  is at fault, she allowed live ammunition on set, against the rules, she allowed the shooting of lizards, against the rules, she allowed a loaded gun onto the cart. Hall was at fault by trusting the armor that the gun was safe instead of checking it. Whether Baldwin pulled the trigger or not, he was in no way responsible unless he knew live ammunition was on set. If he was aware of the lizard shooting, he should have, would have stopped it. I don't think he knew about any of it or he wouldn't have trusted the gun was safe without seeing it being checked. Blaming him is about deep pockets and dislike. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Recklessness."  That is what I suggested in one of my posts here, that Alec Baldwin could be charged with being reckless.  

In aviation accidents, accidents are often attributed to "carelessness" or "recklessness."  

There is also -- to repeat myself -- the information that the departed, Halyna Hutchins, directed Alex Baldwin to point the gun at her and fire.  Her directions were for the movie production.  Is this information true/accurate?  I ache for her loss and her family's loss.  What a horror.  This is a complicated case.

Who put the live ammunition in the gun?  That person must be faulted, too.  There was a certain casualness about this movie production and its firearms.  Let's not forget that this working group gathered rather early in the re-emergence from Covid isolation.  People were coming out of their holes, so to speak, and there had to have been much psychological adjustment to being with others and in a group production.  There likely was much energy expended in getting used to community living again, energy not needed in productions before this time.

Everything must have seemed strange and different after isolating from others for a lengthy period of time and then coming together as a unit.  

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The armor  is at fault, she allowed live ammunition on set, against the rules, she allowed the shooting of lizards, against the rules, she allowed a loaded gun onto the cart. Hall was at fault by trusting the armor that the gun was safe instead of checking it. Whether Baldwin pulled the trigger or not, he was in no way responsible unless he knew live ammunition was on set. If he was aware of the lizard shooting, he should have, would have stopped it. I don't think he knew about any of it or he wouldn't have trusted the gun was safe without seeing it being checked. Blaming him is about deep pockets and dislike. 

@occasionalrain I think what makes Balwin responsible is the fact that he was a producer of the movie which does make him responsible for how the firearms were handled on the set.  It is ultimately his responsibility to make sure the armor is doing her job and that others on the set are not misuing the firearms. 

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife 

Baldwin wasn't the only producer and unless there was a complaint or someone had come to him with a concern, he can't be expected to babysit professionals. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of the main problems with Alec Baldwin is that he seems to have little or no remorse for her death. He doesn't take any reponsiblity, not even saying he's sorry for what happened on the set where he was producer. (If he did, I missed it). 

He went on TV interviews, making it all about him, taking photos all over the internet. He could have shown some respect. It makes people think that he's shallow and arrogant. I think that about him. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I don't  know if he's shallow and arrogant, but he seemed quite upset after it happened and he went and spent time with her husband. There were photos of them together.