Esteemed Contributor
lol
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I wrote a post that isn't getting much looks about the George Benson version (original version) of "The Greatest Love of All" that was the theme song for Muhammad Ali's movie "The Greatest."   Over the years, that version was forgotten over the commercially successful one by Whitney.   The movie version is so much more powerful, IMO.

I love this quote from Muhammad Ali that was stated this morning by the Mayor of Louisville.  In our current climate, such profound words:

We all have the same God, we just serve him differently. Rivers, lakes, ponds, streams, oceans all have different names, but they all contain water. So do religions have different names, and they all contain truth, expressed in different ways forms and times. It doesn't matter whether you're a Muslim, a Christian, or a Jew. When you believe in God, you should believe that all people are part of one family. If you love God, you can't love only some of his children.

MUHAMMAD ALI , The Soul of a Butterfly

I'm sorry but I must disagree.  We do not all have the same God.  That is not a correct statement at all.  You need to study other religions and then I feel you will change your mind.

@Ladybug724

Abraham is the father of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.  All with the same God.  That covers a lot of the world.

That is just the big three. There are many other religions and cultures that don't see it that way.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Muhammad Ali's favor, so It appears they had the final say.

Not if he believes in God. The SCOTUS is not the final say at all.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Why is it so hard for some to honor a black man ?

Really. Why???

I see you are the first to bring race into it. Why??

No one else was.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949

I am surprised you were not aware of Ali's many humanitarian accomplishments over past decades, most were chronicled in the newspapers.

And for those who don't know, the AMERICAN SUPREME COURT said it had been his right as a conscientious objector NOT to fight.

Again, just because a government entity says someone has a right to do or not do something, doesn't change the view of some others that it is not right moral or fair.

Don't expect others who serve or those who loose loved ones in service to admire someone who won't, but is willing to live in and reap from the great nation that provides well for them.

My husband served as a Marine fighting for our country and he is grieving the death of Muhammad Ali. He considers him a hero as do I.

He was conscientious objector for religious reasons. I respect that and I do not think at the time of his death that it is respectful to denigrate his memory.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949

I am surprised you were not aware of Ali's many humanitarian accomplishments over past decades, most were chronicled in the newspapers.

And for those who don't know, the AMERICAN SUPREME COURT said it had been his right as a conscientious objector NOT to fight.

Again, just because a government entity says someone has a right to do or not do something, doesn't change the view of some others that it is not right moral or fair.

Don't expect others who serve or those who loose loved ones in service to admire someone who won't, but is willing to live in and reap from the great nation that provides well for them.

One should put this time in history in context.  There was a DRAFT and it was an unpopular and fruitless war as history has proven.  He was rightly a conscientious objector, because of his religious beliefs, no different from others like him who were exempt from the draft at that time.

I commend him for risking everything and putting his money where his mouth was...loss of career and possible imprisonment.

May his soul rest in peace.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949

My husband served as a Marine fighting for our country and he is grieving the death of Muhammad Ali. He considers him a hero as do I.

He was conscientious objector for religious reasons. I respect that and I do not think at the time of his death that it is respectful to denigrate his memory.

I didn't start the thread, and I didn't say that his memory should be denigrated. I think those here that respected him aren't really respecting the fact that others did not, for reasons that are important to them.

I haven't said either way, how I feel about him, but simply came to the defense of those that are being dismissed. Someone's passing doesn't change the facts or events of their life, or people's feelings about those things, regardless of the side someone is on.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949

I didn't start the thread, and I didn't say that his memory should be denigrated. I think those here that respected him aren't really respecting the fact that others did not, for reasons that are important to them.

I haven't said either way, how I feel about him, but simply came to the defense of those that are being dismissed. Someone's passing doesn't change the facts or events of their life, or people's feelings about those things, regardless of the side someone is on.

There is a time and a place for everything.....sides as you put it are irrevelant when people come together to mourn someone. Respecting someone's memory does not include enumerating their faults.

Honored Contributor

Re: Muhammad Ali is Dead

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949

Apparently you don't know much about his life.  He was a great humanitarian who saved numerous lives.  

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Why is it so hard for some to honor a black man ?

Really. Why???

Stupid question, really.

If you had asked me this just a year or so ago, and it was Bill Cosby who died, I would've been very, very sad.

I liked him.  He was a champion in many ways, gave charitably.  Had no idea about his affairs (nor did I realize Ali was a womanizer until now).  Seemed like a good family man, loved by his children, didn't abandon any, right?

I would have been very very sad.