Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

He was from Louisville, KY originally. I went to college there. They had renamed one of the downtown streets Muhammad Ali Blvd. He was too young to die.

So many diseases that need cures. We are so early in the age of genetics. Hopefully, eventually they will come up with cures for these infirmities. Don't know what they can do for heads that continually take bashing though like in boxing and football. I guess they are working on that. I hope he left his brain to science.

RIP, Muhammad.

Repeated head blows do not cause parkinsons disease .

I'm a firm believer that they will someday prove that extensive trauma to the body if not actually causing some of these conditions, brings it on sooner/worse and exacerbates the conditions.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

That someday is now.

Honored Contributor

Better to have a person who is willing to go to jail for what he believes in rather than one who pretends to have an injury, uses their religious charitable works or has their father buy them a deferment in order not to serve. 

I appreciate honesty!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never followed him... nor understood his politics. I really do not know what he was famous for other than boxing which I find offensive as a sport. Beating up another person to meat and being the winner.... disgusting to me. 

It wasn't his politics per say - he just did not want to go to Viet Nam and he went to jail instead for a short while but they got him out based on his religion (Islam) being pacifist. The GWB gave him a medal of freedom but I tried to look up why and all I could find was because he was such a great boxer and a pacifist. Personally, I can't figiure out how you can beat people to a pulp for a living and then turn around and claim to be a pacifist.

There's a big difference between going to a war that he, and many others, did not believe in and a boxing match with a willing opponent.  He was courageous to change his name and religion at that time.

It would depend on the REAL reason why he did it, and only he and his maker know that for sure.

If he did it to avoid service, it was cowardice, not courageous.

Esteemed Contributor
Would you question a Quaker?

I think not.
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Better to have a person who is willing to go to jail for what he believes in rather than one who pretends to have an injury, uses their religious charitable works or has their father buy them a deferment in order not to serve. 

I appreciate honesty!

Do you mean like a bone spur?

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor
Why is it so hard for some to honor a black man ?

Really. Why???
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949

I am surprised you were not aware of Ali's many humanitarian accomplishments over past decades, most were chronicled in the newspapers.

And for those who don't know, the AMERICAN SUPREME COURT said it had been his right as a conscientious objector NOT to fight.

Again, just because a government entity says someone has a right to do or not do something, doesn't change the view of some others that it is not right moral or fair.

Don't expect others who serve or those who loose loved ones in service to admire someone who won't, but is willing to live in and reap from the great nation that provides well for them.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

He was from Louisville, KY originally. I went to college there. They had renamed one of the downtown streets Muhammad Ali Blvd. He was too young to die.

So many diseases that need cures. We are so early in the age of genetics. Hopefully, eventually they will come up with cures for these infirmities. Don't know what they can do for heads that continually take bashing though like in boxing and football. I guess they are working on that. I hope he left his brain to science.

RIP, Muhammad.

Repeated head blows do not cause parkinsons disease .

I'm a firm believer that they will someday prove that extensive trauma to the body if not actually causing some of these conditions, brings it on sooner/worse and exacerbates the conditions.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/traumatic-brain-injury-a-threat-213647

My dad died of Parkinson's Disease. He played football and sustained a lot of head injuries. He also fought in World War 11 and sustained injuries to his head. His physicians told me that they thought this played a part in his illness.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Many of the leaders of this country in the 2000's refused to serve. 

Why didn't that bother any of you?

Why do you assume it didn't?

Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

I had no respect for the man.  He refused to serve his country.  I was graduating high school and my dad had just returned from 18 months in Japan, his 3rd tour.  Some of my co students were enlisting, some were drafted and some lost their lives.  He got drafted, changed his name and refused.

^THIS.

Shoekitty said

I think he truly was a conscientious objector.  I think his conversion was real.  It is hard to understand, but many people truly are believers in this philosophy.  My grandparents were born in Russia in the late 1800.  They were Molokan.  Molokan is sort of like Amish in a way.  They left Russia as the revolution was starting because of religious freedom.  I guess for years  they had an understanding with the Csar about serving, as Russia had a drafting policy. Then things changed and everyone was taken into service.  The came to america in 1910.    When my grandfather  had to registe rwith the US military , he declined to serve... it says" objector" on his form.  They did believe in what they did,  passionatly!

Cassius Clay was a blow heart, LOL!  it was his personality.  At the time his converting to Islam and rejecting the draft was a big deal in the news.  As the years passed, I think I came to believe he really believed in his religion, and what he did  I do not believe he converted to avoid the draft.  Besides in those days, because of the turmoil they scrutinized every objection, and that man went though a battery of psychological tests The 60's were a different time, you had to be there.  We all know people that died, all of us.  One after another.

Not buying it.

I have a great uncle who is a minister. He did not want to go to war, or kill anyone, but he stepped up and said he would do anything his country asked of him in any other capacity. He'd cook, or clerk, or minister to the troops, anything at all, but didn't want to kill another human being.

So there are ways to 'serve' even when one objects to something, but I don't know that he ever said/offered that.