Esteemed Contributor

I knew that when he went in to the hospital, for respitory issues, that he was nearing the end.

They haven't released the official cause, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was pneumonia.

Ali was 74.

The greatest has left the ring.

Esteemed Contributor

Already a thread that has evolved to announce his death.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

RIP to a legend that inspired many. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I never really cared for boxing. Two grown men beating each other to a pulp, but he was the best, and my heart goes out to his family.

Honored Contributor

I'm like you, @Plaid Pants2.  It didn't occur to me that when I read that Ali had went to the hospital, that he would die at that time.  Even though he was ill, 74 with good health care and around the clock care from people that love you can sometimes mean you live to be 100.

RIP Muhammad Ali!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

He was the first really obnoxious athlete.  I think he set the trend.  My dad didn't like him when I was growing up.  Sorry I can't get on the bandwagon with all the accolades. 

Honored Contributor

I never followed him... nor understood his politics. I really do not know what he was famous for other than boxing which I find offensive as a sport. Beating up another person to meat and being the winner.... disgusting to me. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Muhammad Ali is Dead

[ Edited ]

In 1966 when the war in Viet Nam was just getting geared up he said "I  ain't got nothing against no Viet Cong".  I always wondered what he did that GW Bush gave him a medal of Freedom.

I was saddened when I heard yesterday that they had put him on a ventilator as he seemed to be so severely debilatated by his Parkinson's disease that it did not seem appropriate. May he RIP.

Esteemed Contributor

To be honest, I never understood why people had him on such a high pedestal.

I mean, yeah, he was good at boxing, but I never really cared for his "Big Me" attitude.

Still, his daughters lost their father, and I feel bad for them for that.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never followed him... nor understood his politics. I really do not know what he was famous for other than boxing which I find offensive as a sport. Beating up another person to meat and being the winner.... disgusting to me. 

It wasn't his politics per say - he just did not want to go to Viet Nam and he went to jail instead for a short while but they got him out based on his religion (Islam) being pacifist. The GWB gave him a medal of freedom but I tried to look up why and all I could find was because he was such a great boxer and a pacifist. Personally, I can't figiure out how you can beat people to a pulp for a living and then turn around and claim to be a pacifist.