Honored Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

I had no respect for the man.  He refused to serve his country.  I was graduating high school and my dad had just returned from 18 months in Japan, his 3rd tour.  Some of my co students were enlisting, some were drafted and some lost their lives.  He got drafted, changed his name and refused.

Yeah, we should give all the draft dodgers a medal of freedom I guess because they all were pacifists.

Honored Contributor

"Sting like a butterfly...Float like a bee.

The hands can't hit what the eyes can't see."

R.I.P. sad-face-with-tears-smiley-emoticon.gif

tumblr_mpe1r8ntFI1r2du9bo1_500.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I wrote a post that isn't getting much looks about the George Benson version (original version) of "The Greatest Love of All" that was the theme song for Muhammad Ali's movie "The Greatest."   Over the years, that version was forgotten over the commercially successful one by Whitney.   The movie version is so much more powerful, IMO.

I love this quote from Muhammad Ali that was stated this morning by the Mayor of Louisville.  In our current climate, such profound words:

We all have the same God, we just serve him differently. Rivers, lakes, ponds, streams, oceans all have different names, but they all contain water. So do religions have different names, and they all contain truth, expressed in different ways forms and times. It doesn't matter whether you're a Muslim, a Christian, or a Jew. When you believe in God, you should believe that all people are part of one family. If you love God, you can't love only some of his children.

MUHAMMAD ALI , The Soul of a Butterfly

Respected Contributor

Re: Muhammad Ali is Dead

[ Edited ]

Yes, he used to be Cassious Clay. Everybody seems to forget that and put him on a pedastal.

mm

@barrel racer wrote:

I had no respect for the man.  He refused to serve his country.  I was graduating high school and my dad had just returned from 18 months in Japan, his 3rd tour.  Some of my co students were enlisting, some were drafted and some lost their lives.  He got drafted, changed his name and refused.

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Esteemed Contributor

Floats like a butterfly, and stings like a bee, because, well, butterflies don't sting, and bees do!

Trusted Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

He was the first really obnoxious athlete.  I think he set the trend.  My dad didn't like him when I was growing up.  Sorry I can't get on the bandwagon with all the accolades. 

My father didn't like him either.  He referred to him as that draft dodger.  Over time he came to accept him as a great boxer.

Valued Contributor

He did a lot for children and the disadvantaged over his lifetime.  He did so much for Parkinson's Research.   Vietnam was a controversial war.   Those that fought there were heroes.  Those that stood against it felt it wasn't a war that the U.S. should have been fighting in.   He may have been wrong to many, but he didn't sit idle.   He fought the Civil Rights battle and tried to unify people.  He gave the voiceless a voice.

The memorial service is Friday, June 10 at 2pm Eastern Time.   No doubt it will be televised from Louisville.

Valued Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@Marianne1 wrote:

to those who ask "why Muhammad Ali-- what did he do? "

Take a moment and read this for an good article:

https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/muhammad-ali

He was more than just a boxer.

Thanks for sharing this article, @Marianne1.  I read earlier today that he threw his Olympic medal into the ocean.  Now I understand why.

Very similar to what Jesse Owens had to deal with.  Jesse came home from the Berlin Olympics and he was put in side shows, running against farm animals, yet he couldn't eat in restaurants.   Jesse didn't pay taxes for many years because he felt he gave so much to his country, but the people let him down and used him and abused him.  A judge later pardoned him.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never followed him... nor understood his politics. I really do not know what he was famous for other than boxing which I find offensive as a sport. Beating up another person to meat and being the winner.... disgusting to me. 

It wasn't his politics per say - he just did not want to go to Viet Nam and he went to jail instead for a short while but they got him out based on his religion (Islam) being pacifist. The GWB gave him a medal of freedom but I tried to look up why and all I could find was because he was such a great boxer and a pacifist. Personally, I can't figiure out how you can beat people to a pulp for a living and then turn around and claim to be a pacifist.

There's a big difference between going to a war that he, and many others, did not believe in and a boxing match with a willing opponent.  He was courageous to change his name and religion at that time.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC controversial.