Honored Contributor

Re: Mrs. Prindable Apples......safe or not???

I'm thinking that maybe we should microwave all items bought at deli's, etc. I usually microwave fast food burgers, fries, etc. (when I can, when near my house). Just to make sure. I often microwave sliced deli beef slices, too, before placing in a sandwich. Maybe I'll slightly microwave cheese slices, too. Although I don't know if microwaving would kill Listeria.........(I don't know anything about L.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I just thought of something........maybe it isn't the actual apples, but the craft sticks that are inserted into the apples that might be contaminated in some way...........Just a thought!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 12/27/2014 paie said:
On 12/27/2014 paie said:

Thank you all for info. I will call QVC back and make a decision.

ps.....called QVC and they assured me the apples are 100% ok to eat.

So ignore the CDC and go with QVC??? OK, maybe they should call the CDC and tell them that they "know for sure" that their caramel apples are OK. Actually, on Mrs. Prindable's website the company's press release says:

"We want to reassure our customers that we have no reason to believe that Mrs. Prindable’s products are not safe."

To me, that's not the same as saying they are "100% safe to eat."

I know. Half the time people say they get wrong info from Customer Sevice, now we think they know better than the FDA and CDC?Smiley Sad

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 paie said:
On 12/27/2014 paie said:

I would get that in writing just I case you do get sick you could take them to court.
Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 12/27/2014 paie said:
On 12/27/2014 paie said:

I would get that in writing just I case you do get sick you could take them to court.

Good point.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 terrier3 said:

I saw this report on CNN too...who would give as Christmas gifts apples with a Best Use date back around Thanksgiving???????

The main thing is that so far, they don't really know what contains the bacteria, is it the apples, the caramel or what ingredient. If those ingreidient are still out there and being used by who knows what companies, there could be more problems.

I'm of the camp that believes the Mrs. P's are probably safe, but each person should decide for themselves the risk they wish to take. I got a refund (but not before we ate three of them before the news broke), and trashed the rest.

Just because we aren't sick yet, doesn't mean we are in the clear, as it can take up to 70 days for symptoms to surface.

Honored Contributor

They also said it would be very unusual for the symptoms to take 70 days to appear. Most people will show symptoms in less than a week.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said: They also said it would be very unusual for the symptoms to take 70 days to appear. Most people will show symptoms in less than a week.

Yes, thank-you. You are exactly 100% right. While it can, in theory, take UP TO 70 days for symptoms to surface, it would be very highly unlikely, and unusual for symptoms to take that long to appear.

If one is going to get sick, it'll be sooner, rather than later.

Since it has been three weeks, since I had a Mrs. P's apple, and I haven't had any symptoms, I'm not worried. If I was going to get sick, I would have already been sick by now.

Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Plaid Pants said:
On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said: They also said it would be very unusual for the symptoms to take 70 days to appear. Most people will show symptoms in less than a week.

Yes, thank-you. You are exactly 100% right. While it can, in theory, take UP TO 70 days for symptoms to surface, it would be very highly unlikely, and unusual for symptoms to take that long to appear.

If one is going to get sick, it'll be sooner, rather than later.

Since it has been three weeks, since I had a Mrs. P's apple, and I haven't had any symptoms, I'm not worried. If I was going to get sick, I would have already been sick by now.

I don't know who "they" is. If you mean the media, I wouldn't trust them to give accurate info. FYI - Medical experts say that listeria is known for having an extremely variable incubation period and that the average is 30 days.

Honored Contributor

Wishing all who purchased them everywhere good luck and no health problems. Allrecipes.com has caramel apples, candied apples recipes. Very easy and fast preparation. p.s. I wouldn't use craft sticks or craft popsicle sticks because they might not be food quality, etc. Maybe barbeque skewer sticks? Or plastic forks (or stainless steel?) inserted just to be able to dip the apples into the candy and/or caramel coating.