Respected Contributor

Re: Mrs. Prindable Apples......safe or not???

The CDC hasn't declared ANY BRAND safe yet. The one company voluntarily recalled their apples. Other companies like Mrs. Prindables didn't. QVC and Prindables statement doesn't say they're ""safe"" just not on the list so far of tainted bad apples. Big difference. There's no ""safe list"" yet. Read the threads in the Kitchen forums.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

I received my shipment of 16 apples on Dec. 10th, and we ate the last apple on Christmas Eve. My family was aware of the Listeria issue, but we had no worries or concerns about our Mrs Prindables shipment. We do not live in a state where any cases of Listeria have been reported, we have never eaten the store bought apples that were at the center of this investigation, and the statement that Mrs Prindables were not affected, was reassurance enough for all of us to eat the apples. We based our decision on the facts we knew, and have no regrets.
Respected Contributor

FRIDAY, 12/26/14 @ 5:00 p.m.

Caramel Apples and Ice Cream Leave Dozens With Life Threatening Listeria Infections

http://www.newsweek.com/caramel-apples-and-ice-cream-leave-dozens-life-threatening-listeria-infectio...

FRIDAY, 12/26/14 @ 5:00 p.m.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention along with the Food and Drug Administration are cautioning Americans to stay away from caramel apples. (CDC recommends that U.S. consumers not eat any commercially produced, prepackaged caramel apples, including plain caramel apples as well as those containing nuts, sprinkles, chocolate, or other toppings, until more specific guidance can be provided.) Commercially-produced and pre-packaged apples—the kind typically sold at grocery stores—have been linked to listeria monocytogenes infections, also called listeriosis.

According to the FDA, “Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.” When the organism infects pregnant women, it can also lead to miscarriages and stillborn births. The bacteria can be spread by ingesting affected food, making contact with infected animals and is also passed from mother to child during pregnancy.

As of December 22, the CDC has found 29 infected people across ten states, all of whom have been hospitalized. Of those 29, three have died due to causes linked directly to listeriosis; the CDC believes infection may have contributed to the death of the fourth.

It remains unclear which brands have been affected and the CDC is still working to determine the contamination source. It is also not yet clear whether it is the caramel coating or the apples that are causing the outbreak, but, according to the CDC, "at this time, no illnesses related to this outbreak have been linked to apples that are not caramel-coated and not prepackaged or to caramel candy.”

Some caramel apple manufacturers, such as Missouri-based Happy Apple Company, are issuing voluntary recalls as the CDC continues their investigation. “We recently received notice from Bidart Brothers, one of our apple suppliers to our California facility that there may be a connection between this outbreak and the apples that they supplied to that facility,” the company said in a statement.

Simultaneously, two other cases of the infection, both in Washington state, were linked to frozen desserts produced by Snoqualmie Gourmet Ice Cream. Both patients are currently recovering from the disease and remain hospitalized. Meanwhile, the company issued a voluntary recall on ice cream, gelato, custard and sorbet of all flavors. The products were distributed in fourteen states. It is unclear whether the ice cream-related infections are in any way connected to the caramel apple-related infections.

Contributor

Thank you all for info. I will call QVC back and make a decision.

Contributor

On 12/27/2014 paie said:

ps.....called QVC and they assured me the apples are 100% ok to eat.

Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 paie said:

I finally received my apples. Had ordered them before I learned about all the people getting sick after eating caramel apples. Did anyone consume the ones they got without getting sick? I'm not sure what to do. Thinking of sending them back. Hate to do that because I really love them.

I've eaten Mrs. P's apples, and have not gotten sick.

If you don't feel comfortable consuming them, you do not have to send them back. In fact, QVC does not want you to send food back. Just call cs, and they'll refund your money.

Respected Contributor

Btw The CDC and FDA say it can take up to 70 days for symptoms to appear.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Slightly off topic: I recall years ago my mom and sisters making candied apples. So a couple of years ago, I used an easy recipe and made my own! I'm thinking that caramel apples would be fairly easy, as well as my occasional old-fashioned baked apples. It's worth a try.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 paie said:
On 12/27/2014 paie said:

ps.....called QVC and they assured me the apples are 100% ok to eat.

So ignore the CDC and go with QVC??? OK, maybe they should call the CDC and tell them that they "know for sure" that their caramel apples are OK. Actually, on Mrs. Prindable's website the company's press release says:

"We want to reassure our customers that we have no reason to believe that Mrs. Prindable’s products are not safe."

To me, that's not the same as saying they are "100% safe to eat."

Honored Contributor

My SIL contracted listeria while she was pregnant and lost her baby. They think it was from brie cheese she had on a deli sandwich.

Until they're declared absolutely safe, I wouldn't eat them.

I heard it wasn't the caramel, that it was possibly the apples.