Honored Contributor

Re: Monkey see, Monkey do...

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

I remember growing up in the 70's when the weekend after Thanksgiving the Dads in the neighborhood were out putting the lights and decorations out in the yard, usually on would start then by nine or so in the morning the sounds of the bigger kids and their parents were in the air. Some not so nice language but it was all fun and some competition as to who had the brightest lights. I can't recall any negativity and most guys who had the tallest roofs got plenty of help getting the lights straight. 

The same thing happened when the other seasons rolled around so when did the competitive spirit and meanness come about? If all the front doors on the blocks are adorned with beautiful wreaths, so what? The same goes for lawn decorations too. It makes for a beautiful neighborhood in my opinion. 

@JaneMarple  Seems like we grew up around/close to the same time. I'm going to be 57 soon...

Anyway, I miss when neighbors used to be 'neighborly'. At least I have lived long enough to have recalled knowing that time period actually existed.

Ever since DH and I got married and owned our own home, we have had nothing but nightmares with our neighbors. One fed (thank heavens they finally moved) ferel cats, one let their dogs bark for hours every day (we had to bring them to court - and won!), another allows their kids to destroy our property by throwing balls into our gardens, dings our AC unit and the side of our house. We had delinquent kids steal our holiday decorations...

Then there are the kids every Spring/summer who ride their scooters/bikes/skateboards up and down our driveway (it's a steep 25-30 degree angle). One of the mothers came over and yelled at us for telling their kids to not play in our driveway...that we should allow their kids to just be kids and play...dahblink.gif

Ummmm...this is OUR property...and we should allow YOUR kids to do whatever they want HERE...

So if they get injured, you can sue us?...seriously? 

Why is it that when I was growing up I didn't need to be told not to do things on someone else's property (unless they were friends and we had permission of coarse)...

What is the world coming to...absolutely no consideration for anyone else but themselves...

Honestly, at times it can become unnerving...

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise How awful for you have such disrespectful neighbors, I couldn't imagine living like that. What in the world has happened to good manners and morals? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Frequent Contributor

Maybe you gave your neighbor a good idea and he doesn't think about it until he see's you doing it. As for neighbor's copying ideas, it must be something they like, consider it a compliment.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise  Hi there, GF, glad you are well and taking care of all those chores.  lol

I was just thinking about something and your neighbors.  If they peek in the windows and try to copy your inside  decorating they'd better be prepared  to shop for a while to gather decor, don't you think?  I know you have a lot of beautiful decor.

When you decorate your porch for the holidays do they do that too.  My daughter's neighbors do, when she puts a pot of Mums or any other flowers out on the porch they get some and put them on their porch.  Really ticks her off.  I told her, at least the neighborhood is pretty. She didn't find that humorous at all.  Smiley Happy

@lucymo  Hi GF Smiley Happy

I haven't been able to decorate outside for close to 8 yrs now because they get stolen. The last time I decorated outside, after the 1st time, I went back to WM and bought the lighted candy canes again.

Bold as brass, the same bunch of delinquent neighborhood kids came back the next night to take them again! I was only able to replace the candy canes...not our little snowman Smiley Sad

Thank goodness DH was reviewing our security video cameras the next evening and told me to run out the front door. At least I was able to scare them off and they all dropped the decor and ran.

However, I have not been able to decorate outside since...

I was so happy at the time to have planned out such a nice red and while light display...only for it to come to a sour end.

The next day I removed all our ourdoor decorations so we didn't have to watch our front yard like hawks for the entire holiday season...no fun in that Smiley Sad So I wound up donating all the ourdoor decorations to Goodwill.

Here are some pics from back then...maybe you will recognize the Bethlehem Lights little snowman Smiley Happy

PB280428.jpg

PB280429.jpg

PB280444.jpg

PB280446.jpg

@Susan Louise

That's a darn shame that those hooligans stole your decorations......can't the police do somethig put extra patrols in the area etc.......so sad!!! your decorations really looked nice too!!!

@Susan Louise  It looks so pretty.  What a shame that people have to ruin other people's pleasures.  Some steal just for the thrill of it and dump the stuff.  Our police have found that in our town.  We have never had anything stolen but it can happen anywhere.  I put lanterns and candles on the porch and so far, no one has taken anything.