Esteemed Contributor

Re: Monkey see, Monkey do...

@GCR18 wrote:

My neighbors copy things I have rather than things I'm doing.  For example, I have ceramic mushrooms in my front garden.  The neighbor to the left got some.  I have solar lights in my front garden.  The neighbor to the right got some.  There are other examples too.

@GCR18

Sounds like they like the way you decorate your yard and garden!!  Smiley Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Maybe seeing you doing something reminds him that he needs to do it too.

@Marienkaefer2

That's what I was thinking.  Sometimes I see someone out doing something, and I think, "yeah...I really need to do that."

Esteemed Contributor

I think if I put up a whole scene of holiday decorations or something, and someone copied it, I'd be irritated that they couldn't come up with their own thing to do...but the chores thing I don't mind.

Honored Contributor

We were one of the first to replace our asphalt driveway with brick pavers. Now it is common place for many neighbors to do this. I'd like to say we started a trend!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Yep. We got a white car (Subaru) 3 years ago, because everyone seemed to have silver or black. lol. Now 1/2 of our neighbors in our development have white cars. Oh well, I take it as a compliment.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember growing up in the 70's when the weekend after Thanksgiving the Dads in the neighborhood were out putting the lights and decorations out in the yard, usually on would start then by nine or so in the morning the sounds of the bigger kids and their parents were in the air. Some not so nice language but it was all fun and some competition as to who had the brightest lights. I can't recall any negativity and most guys who had the tallest roofs got plenty of help getting the lights straight. 

The same thing happened when the other seasons rolled around so when did the competitive spirit and meanness come about? If all the front doors on the blocks are adorned with beautiful wreaths, so what? The same goes for lawn decorations too. It makes for a beautiful neighborhood in my opinion. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

I wish when neighbors see me pulling my trash bins back from the curb that they'd do theirs, too. They don't copy chores or decorating in my neighborhood. I put lights on our round bushes & if they do anything it's just a strip of lights along their roof's gutter.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Yep. We got a white car (Subaru) 3 years ago, because everyone seemed to have silver or black. lol. Now 1/2 of our neighbors in our development have white cars. Oh well, I take it as a compliment.

@Shorty2U

I don't worry much about that...I got this color!! Heart :

Image result for Honda passion berry pearl

I've only seen one other car that looks like mine out and about (same model and color, I mean).

I thought about getting the black, but now my brother has the same car in black.  (He liked mine and wanted one of his own.) 

My car looks black at night, so when we're both at my mom's house, it's going to look like there are twin cars sitting in the driveway.  LoL

Monkey see, monkey do indeed.  LoL

Esteemed Contributor

Remember the Bob Newhart Show when he had the Country Inn in a New England town?  There were three brothers named, Daryl, Daryl, and Daryl, one more unkempt than the other.  We have a wealthy father and son living a few doors down, we call Daryl and Daryl.  I WISH they would copy us!!!  Mowing, removing brush, decorating front door, etc. 

Up until last year, all of our cars were black.  Am i supposed to care if my neighbors all bought black cars?  I say go for it.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

I wish when neighbors see me pulling my trash bins back from the curb that they'd do theirs, too. They don't copy chores or decorating in my neighborhood. I put lights on our round bushes & if they do anything it's just a strip of lights along their roof's gutter.

@StraytoStay

I wish my neighbors would rake the leaves to the curb for pickup (like I do) instead of raking them into the gutter.

Every spring the streets flood and people in my neighborhood act like it's the city's fault.  It's not.  It's the fault of the people who rake their leaves into the street where they are likely to clog the storm sewers.  The city even asks people not to do it, and they do it anyway.  It's really selfish, and I wish the city would start citing people for it.