Esteemed Contributor

My mom was a really good cook.

She enjoyed the process of taking ingredients and creating a meal.

I miss her lasagna the most.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't replicate her quality.

I follow her recipe, but it just doesn't quite taste the same.

Did your mom have a signature dish that you miss?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

While my Mom was not the best cook, I miss her roast leg of lamb with roasted potatoes and one of her wonderful cakes for dessert. She sure could bake. I make lamb for myself every Easter but it's not as good as hers.

Honored Contributor

my mom is a great cook, but she doesnt do much of it anymore at the age of 80. i think i have turned into an even BETTER cook than my mom was. not sure if i miss anything she used to make because i am doing a fine job of it now. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My mom didn't let me in her kitchen.....which was probably a good thing.    I took my lessons from Julia Child....on TV.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Homemade bread and doughnuts were excellent. Often times, the bread was made in our old wood-fired cook stove.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Homemade bread and doughnuts were excellent. Often times, the bread was made in our old wood-fired cook stove.

@AuntG 

My mom would have LOVED to have cooked on a wood-fire stove!

I have one memory of when I was about four years old, of a metal swing arm that was in our fireplace, and my mom making chilli in a cast iron Dutch oven, in the fireplace.

And that swing arm is what sold the house to an Irish lass, because it reminded her of how her grandmother use t cook!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Regular Contributor

My mom had 1 special dish she would make usually on a Sunday. Not often but from time to time. It was called chicken ala providence. She passed in 2000 and I have never made it.  I have her recipe and keep telling myself I should try it someday. That is on my bucket list!

Honored Contributor

My brothers tell me that I am a better meat-and-potatoes cook than was our mother.  But my mother's baking was far above mine.    

Respected Contributor

My Mother altough was a good cook and baker did not use spices and her cooking was bland and plain.  Wholesome. Salt and occasionally pepper.  Pot roast ,baked chicken, pork and saurkraut, She was German/Czech. I like hot foods  on occasion and experimenting with spices. I never had Italian,Mexican or Chinese growing up.

Honored Contributor

My mom's pot roast was the best, I've never matched it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan